General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABATE Course-New Riders

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default ABATE Course-New Riders

Last week I took the ABATE-New Riders course offered here in town. I hadn't ridden a bike for a long time and thought I'd better learn some good habits and try to keep myself out of trouble. For those of you who haven't ridden in awhile, I'm going to suggest you find a similar course, in your area. I don't know of other organizations that teach this course so this I'm not implying that ABATE is the only group around; nor is this a commercial for the organization. However, I found the instructors to be top-notch and life-long riders who didn't stoop to dropping opinions on various bikes but acted, and treated us all with respect. The course materials, videos and practical skills portions were excellent and I can't say enough about the class.

I thought about posting this message on another place in this forum but eventually decided to place it here so that all you other 'newbies' can see it. Apologies to the administrator if this isn't proper.

Be careful.

Al.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:54 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: ABATE Course-New Riders

good enough for me, thanks!!

Old 05-24-2005, 03:03 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Great Looking Bike Al.

I took the course years ago and found it very helpful. Of course I rode up on a 76 bagger with no helmet then got on a 125 Kaw. with a helmet and orange vest[:@]. I'm looking in to taking the experienced riders course next time it comes around. I wonder if they let you do wheelies in that one.

Terry

Old 05-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree more with your post regarding the basic rider's course, no matter what it's specific title in various areas of the country according to who is offering it.

I took the BRC at my local Community College and the impressions I left with are the same as yours. It helped get me back into the rythem of riding a bike after a very long absence. Every time I ride, I make myself mentally review safety issues and watch of hazards just like I was taught. Hopefully, it will keep me a happy, healthy rider!