General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bitchin Harley riders saying what model is best

Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by oct1949
There is nothing wrong with owning a Sporty.. Hell I has one when I was 20,, my first Harley back in 71....

But... IMO.. Going fast, stopping hard, Cornering quick is not a lot different than owning Crotch Rocket.... And besides that my 6'3'' 280# body just don't fit a Sporty any more...

There has always been the thinking that a Sporty is the Cheap way to own a Harley.. or if you're a small person and just want a fast town hopper. But for a Road bike-- NOT...

Being old now I really think that 75% of the Sporty owners own one because they can't afford owning a full size Harley.. and they want to BELONG or Feel like their Into the Harley crowd....

Ive read in this forum here for 9 yrs now and I can honestly say A VERY LARGE % of sporty owners move up to a full sized Harley within a yr of buying a Sporty...

So if you have a Softy and you're in a crowd of Sporty owners bitching... WELL I'd just walk out quietly and not say a word,, knowing they don't have a clue IF they have never experienced what a full size Harley is like...
I respect your riding experience but here is the thing, I ride a sportster and never b*tch about any other model. Hell I don't even talk down to the other brands. Who cares what you ride as long as you are on two wheels. I have been riding for 22 yrs (since I was 14) and bikes were my main mode of transportation until recently when I changed jobs and started frequent out of state travel.

I am short (5'5"), around 140 lbs and have ridden and can afford any and all models including the CVO Road-glides. I never had any issue handling any size bike in Harley line-up (remember they all sit around the same seat height more or less). I ride fast (with Sport bikes 90% of the time), corner hard and in general flick it around like a Sports bike. Which by the way is the thrill factor one seeks when riding a motorcycle, ask anyone riding any bike why doing the Dragon is always on top of their riding bucket list. THIS is something I was never able to do with any other Harley model as efficiently as with a Sporty. Well Dynas are a close second.

When you say "a full sized Harley", you automatically demean Sportsters indicating they are somehow not 100% Harleys just because they are lighter, smaller and cheaper to own. You also perceive that somehow owning a 800+ lbs and slower bike that comes with 5-7 yrs of monthly payments is something an individual should automatically buy into if he/she wants to be a part of "Harley crowd".

I agree 100% to the fact that a bigger person may feel cramped on a Sportster in some cases but that can also be remedied easily if one wants.

With due respect to your age and experience, your thought process is a little flawed IMHO. Ride your own ride and be safe out there. We have enough stupid cagers to worry about instead of things like "Harley crowd".

Old 02-22-2016, 01:20 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

I love all Harleys, even the ugly ones, simply because they are Harleys. Might not own a Deuce or Rocker because they are not what I am attracted to, but they ARE Harleys & deserve respect.
Except the Street. That ain't no Harley; that's rice.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:36 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Being old now I really think that 75% of the Sporty owners own one because they can't afford owning a full size Harley.. and they want to BELONG or Feel like their Into the Harley crowd....

Ive read in this forum here for 9 yrs now and I can honestly say A VERY LARGE % of sporty owners move up to a full sized Harley within a yr of buying a Sporty...

I sold Harleys when I was between corporate jobs. From my experience I found people bought Sportsters because it suited the kind of rider they are. Some were new riders. Others found 900 lb. touring bikes to be a little too much motorcycle for everyday commuting or picking up milk from the grocery store. Other factors that came into play included price and insurance costs. I don't recall anyone who wanted to "belong."

As Harleys' primary customer base ages, some will move from heavy touring bikes to lighter ones like the Dyna Switchback or Sportster 1200T.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:35 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

I think that the volume of sales for the Street Glide would say a little something about it...

Old 02-22-2016, 01:40 PM
phatboyee
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just ride what ya got and enjoy it, that's all that counts!

Old 02-22-2016, 01:51 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Arv
Ok so Im currently sitting as an new guy, looking in at my local chapter, soaking up all the chat, different faces and people.

But a comment I heard made me come out and say my piece in front of a group of guys

I heard them talking about other Harleys models, as this particular group own sportsters and was saying how quick they are compared to softails, and how much better they stop, how they lean over better etc etc..

Knowing I own a Fatboy, and that im a bit green etc, I expect they were educating me ,right?

I had enough and said we should just enjoy having a variety of models to chose from, each to their own etc etc, as you can imagine there was an air of silence for a couple of seconds then........"anyone for a coffee" and they carried on. So I have just one question,WHY?
Guys get together. They talk about motorcycles. They talk about beer or whisky or cars or football teams. It ain't bitchin. Women talk about relationships. Friends doing other friends in...that's bitchin. I don't see the bitchin part when I stop with other riders. People talk up what they ride, where they ride, where they stop..that's why they ride it..they love it or that's all they can afford.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:00 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Idk why??? People are entitled to express themselves. Goes all ways. A big guy will just sit back and suck it in.

Guys that think sportsters are beginners bike. Cool

Guys that think the only bike in the world is an Ultra. That's cool too.

Others think Harley is God's gift to riding, that's awesome.

Really at the end of the day......who cares what others think?