General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

springer front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 11:20 PM
fish
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springer front end

Want to thank everybody on help in picking bike. Dealer told me springer softail is better value because if you bought the springer forks they cost 2700.00 compare to deuce forks 830.00 He said Harly underpriced springer any thoughts.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:40 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: springer front end

If'n yer buying a bike for value, yer in trouble already.

Seriously, if you want the Springer, get it. But understand it has limitations compared to a hydraulic fork. It is a different ride, not made for pushing in corners, requires more attention, and certain parts have a shorter life span compared to the hydraulic.

Sure does look good, though! And the Springer Classic is the best lookin' bike HD has made.

Old 06-18-2005, 06:02 AM
98fxd
Tourer

springers are totally cool. if you were looking for cutting edge pefromance, you'd be buiying... well a buell i have not ridden a springer, so i default to prococj, but i think the old school suspension looks cool and is a statment about the kind of person you are. super cool ride! have fun

Old 06-18-2005, 11:45 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

I like the looks of the spring fork. Like the looks of a girder even more. So here's what I'm looking at for the 2006-2007 winter rebuild: http://www.youngchoppers.com/parts_eyr_lsff.shtml
I think one of these would look pretty slick on my Sloptail.

The only thing I don't care for on the new Springers is the fender. The Classic is OK with the big tire & fender, but the regular Springer just looks wrong. Springers should be fenderless! If I was getting a new FXSTS, the fender would have to go. But that leaves you with those fender mounts, so maybe a custom fork brace would be a functional piece to add.

Ahh, I'm ready to sell the house and move into the shop! Ideas, ideas, ....

Old 06-18-2005, 02:08 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Howdy Fish, how ya doin? About a month ago, I bought a Springer. I don't know anything about the mechanics of the springer front end as opposed to the hydraulic front end. I don't push my my bike on the corners or on the straights. I just ride for pleasure. I don't really have much riding time on other bikes to compare handling of the two different front ends. I just picked the springer front end because I liked the way that it looked. There might be better handling bikes out there, but I'm happy with my choice. I like being different, and I've only seen one Springer in my area since I've gotten mine. I guess that it boils down to whatever makes you happy. Enjoy the ride.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Serpentsminion
Cruiser

Greetings everyone- does Harley still sell just the springer fork kits? I'd like a set of black ones...... but I don't see them anywhere in their online parts lineups anywhere.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:31 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer

ORIGINAL: pococj

Seriously, if you want the Springer, get it. But understand it has limitations compared to a hydraulic fork. It is a different ride, not made for pushing in corners, requires more attention, and certain parts have a shorter life span compared to the hydraulic.

Sure does look good, though! And the Springer Classic is the best lookin' bike HD has made.
WHAT?? I have a 91 FXSTS with over 250,000 miles on it. What parts have a shorter life span???? Corners just as well as the 84 XLX and 2006 8-Ball that I own not to mention the many bikes I've borrowed!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the looks of the spring fork. Like the looks of a girder even more. So here's what I'm looking at for the 2006-2007 winter rebuild: http://www.youngchoppers.com/parts_eyr_lsff.shtml
I think one of these would look pretty slick on my Sloptail.

The only thing I don't care for on the new Springers is the fender. The Classic is OK with the big tire & fender, but the regular Springer just looks wrong. Springers should be fenderless! If I was getting a new FXSTS, the fender would have to go. But that leaves you with those fender mounts, so maybe a custom fork brace would be a functional piece to add.

Ahh, I'm ready to sell the house and move into the shop! Ideas, ideas, ....
holy schnikees. 2500.00 bones for that frt end. that will look bad *** on a bike though. saw a springer softail over the weekend at a poker run i was on. bike looked sweet with that frt end, really stood out of the crowd.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:39 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer

Springers don't need fork braces like hydraulic's do. They do make a Head light relocation kit that bolts to the fender mounts, looks pretty cool.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26045/B91D2EDE2FB14A7EBF0C299380949896.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-07-2007, 04:50 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

Got my springer new in 2005, it took a good 700-1000 mi to break it in, its the best handling bike I have ever riden, there is no problem in the corners except the floorboards drag, but you get used to that, it really is the most gorgeous bike HD has ever made! I think mine is a pretty good example!

Quick Reply: springer front end