General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannonball Run too hard on those old bikes?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cannonball Run too hard on those old bikes?

Thanks for posting those pics, Dale_K.

But, I've been reading about this (pre-1916 bikes going coast to coast), and it got me thinkin'.

Kinda hard on those old bikes, don't ya think? They don't make them anymore, and I'll assume that includes parts. And if you can find aftermarket parts, wouldn't that take away from it's value? One would think it would.

There are only so many of these around. I don't know about anyone else, but if I had a 1915 Harley that I paid, oh, anywhere from $30-200k, I'd probably be babying it. But that's just me.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One would think anyone with the bike might have the money and knowledge to do most repairs. Talk about hardcore bikers.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never seen one of the bike ones. As a kid back east, I loved seeing the old cars in a run down the highways.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Fossil
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those guys on the Cannon Ball believe the bikes should be ridden. I have been following them every day. One guy on an old Harley single kept throwing rods. He had a couple extras and at a stop he machined a rod he brought along in case. Parts for the 1915 Harley's are available but you have to be into that antique classic motorcycle world to know where to find the parts and who is making them. There is a German gal riding a 1907 JAP that has no clutch. She has to kill the engine at each stop and when she wants to go she puts the bike in gear and pushes it from the right side. When it starts she jumps up on the seat with a ballet grace. I would love to see those bikes go by.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabite
Kinda hard on those old bikes, don't ya think? They don't make them anymore, and I'll assume that includes parts. And if you can find aftermarket parts, wouldn't that take away from it's value? One would think it would.
They're riding those bikes no differently than we do now. Guys have riding HD's like that since 1903.

Most of the bigger names in the Cannonball are well associated with the costs, repair and machining it takes to keep them on the road. I would safely say they are Pros at vintage American iron.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I really admire those folks taking part in this event

I know for sure I would never be able to ride one of those old jalopy's for more than a couple of hours. I'm on a 09 RK and custom seat for cryin out loud and I'm looking forward to the end of the day of riding. Had to be made of pretty tough stuff back then to ride. No paved roads and a minimal suspension.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 AM
wiredwilly
Tourer

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
I know for sure I would never be able to ride one of those old jalopy's for more than a couple of hours. I'm on a 09 RK and custom seat for cryin out loud and I'm looking forward to the end of the day of riding. Had to be made of pretty tough stuff back then to ride. No paved roads and a minimal suspension.
have to remember, they were going from Horse to Motorcycle back then

Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 AM
maniac cop 5
Advanced

I just happened to be in Hot Springs, Arkansas this weekend when the Cannonball riders came through. I didn't even know about it until I started seeing all these great old bikes coming through downtown. I later went to the Harley dealer where I was told about the run. It was VERY impressive to see in person. Wish I'd had a camera!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buzz Kanter of AIM (American Iron Magazine) is currently #8 in the run. His article in the August issue (page 128, Part II) of AIM gives some information on what he and his friend had to do to get his 1915 Harley ready for the Cannonball Ride across country. We will most likely see more articles in AIM on the entire run. Gotta hand it to them, must be a tough daily ride even on modern roads. Funny, how we whine and cry when our modern Harley's give us occasional trouble, considering that the Cannonball riders have daily mechanical problems to contend with.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

They should be ridden,as were all my old Harleys.It's Okay to want to hide them away if you own them,your choice.Doubt I would ever do a cross country,since a 600 mile trip on one of my old ones totally did me in.Rebuilding them has to be done at some point,if there going to be used.Not being used is almost as hard on them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cannonball Run too hard on those old bikes?