General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet video camera ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:02 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

apparently you run the risk of being arrested and charged if you're running a helmet cam, depending on the cop you run into....like the one that charged that one guy for stunt riding, he got out of the unmarked car and was all on tape......you guys know the one I'm talking about.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:24 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Drew, I agree the GoPro HD is the best small cam out today . . .

But forget Windows Movie Maker. What will happen is you'll mount you new Go Pro on your helmet or bike and go out and shoot the next Easy Rider! Then you'll come home and download the video from the GoPro to your computer and fire up Movie Maker anxious and excited to begin editing your masterpiece.

But this is what you'll get . . .

And it's going to be a big downer . . .

Not to get too technical but you'll have a codec issue. What that means simply is Movie Maker can't read the files generated by the GoPro because the formats are different. So, you'll go online and start reading about video file converters, and believe me, two hours later, you'll be ready to throw your GoPro out the window.

But the GoPro isn't the problem. It's Movie Maker. Even if you figure out how to convert the GoPro's MP4 files to the WMV files Movie Maker can read you'll quickly get tired of Movie Maker's awkward interface and limited capabilities.

So resign yourself to purchasing a good stand alone video editing program along with the GoPro. There's a bunch of them out there but I've been using one called Power Director. It's a full featured video editing program that can read GoPro files right off the bat. And there's no end to the cool things you can do editing wise. There is a bit of learning curve with it but you'll be a lot happier with the end results. I think I paid about 60 bucks for it via direct download. It's here: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...iew_en_US.html

And cops can't bust you for a helmet cam. What is this Russia? Besides a judge ruled recently and correctly that police have no expectation of privacy when performing their duties on a public street or area.

Last edited by NickD; 11-21-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:42 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default different Camera

There are other cameras out there that are professional grade and not novelty items. One is Sony and the one company I choose is ChaseCam.

These cameras allow up to 4 cameras feeding into a SSD DVR along with a newly developed 4 sensor input devices where use can use a accelerometer and sensors such as measuring movement/time.

With their DashWare software you can display all pertaining gauges (Data Module) as well as GPS with position indicator. We will use all of the above to investigate such things as shock movement and the transmitted shock to the frame as well as traction over the given road conditions. All is displayed in a split screen and can be used to compare different settings as well as products. This recorded data/video is easily edited in Sony Vagas 10 for better presentation.

LINK TO Videos

Now you know that there is a bigger world out to choose from. All it takes is money.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:03 PM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

I use iMovie on my MAC, great piece of software, very easy and if you want to upload to YouTube the function is built right in.
I tried windows software when I had a PC and found it was a nightmare both importing video clips and then editing them, on a MAC its EASY :-)
Best of all most MAC's come with the iMovie software installed by default :-)

Old 11-28-2010, 02:05 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. It's going to be a while till I pull the trigger...Christmas is here.

Drew

Old 11-28-2010, 02:30 PM
NYBagger92
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NickD

But forget Windows Movie Maker. What will happen is you'll mount you new Go Pro on your helmet or bike and go out and shoot the next Easy Rider! Then you'll come home and download the video from the GoPro to your computer and fire up Movie Maker anxious and excited to begin editing your masterpiece.

Not to get too technical but you'll have a codec issue. What that means simply is Movie Maker can't read the files generated by the GoPro because the formats are different. So, you'll go online and start reading about video file converters, and believe me, two hours later, you'll be ready to throw your GoPro out the window.

But the GoPro isn't the problem. It's Movie Maker. Even if you figure out how to convert the GoPro's MP4 files to the WMV files Movie Maker can read you'll quickly get tired of Movie Maker's awkward interface and limited capabilities.

So resign yourself to purchasing a good stand alone video editing program along with the GoPro. There's a bunch of them out there but I've been using one called Power Director. It's a full featured video editing program that can read GoPro files right off the bat. And there's no end to the cool things you can do editing wise. There is a bit of learning curve with it but you'll be a lot happier with the end results. I think I paid about 60 bucks for it via direct download. It's here: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...iew_en_US.html

And cops can't bust you for a helmet cam. What is this Russia? Besides a judge ruled recently and correctly that police have no expectation of privacy when performing their duties on a public street or area.

question: I use a PC, what programs can be used to view and edit the videos?

answer: Windows Media Player or Movie Maker (download the latest HD-capable version and also download a H.264 decoder to update media or movie maker). CoreCodec CoreAVC is one company that offers a codec pack for h.264. VLC media player. Download this free video media player that supports .mp4 h.264 files: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ For other PC based editing programs, we have had several customers give good reviews of the Pinnacle Studio HD editing software which is compatible with the MP4 files. Adobe Premier Elements PC based program that is compatible with MP4 files. If you have an existing program that does not support MP4 files, you also have the option of using a file conversion software such as Squared5 or VLC Media Player to convert your files into a format compatible with your particular editing program.

or go Mac, and never look back.

I have the GoPro, and use it with the PC, and the Mac. iMovie works great with the camera files. This camera is no novelty item.

I have some great footage of rides, and friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypzqFFlPPdU <-- a little bs clip from a ride the other day. playing with iMovie, and the gopro.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:06 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
apparently you run the risk of being arrested and charged if you're running a helmet cam, depending on the cop you run into....like the one that charged that one guy for stunt riding, he got out of the unmarked car and was all on tape......you guys know the one I'm talking about.
Depends on what state you are in. It's perfectly legal in KY and most states, but it can be a crime in some of the New England states and maybe elsewhere.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:40 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used this software for years. Great price for a whole suite of utilities.
http://www.avs4you.com/ This had everything I needed for one price but is in multiple programs.

Forget handlebar mounts, on Harley's they are worthless ( in my opinion ).
The worked great in my Honda days, but the Harley's vibrations causes blurring of pictures unless your on the highway. I moved my HeroPro to my helmet and works great there.

I bought the widescreen version of the HeroPro and wished now I'd bought the normalscreen. The wide seems to pull back from the view to give you the widescreen effect so unless your right on something it's to far away in the picture.
Example, if I'm tailing another bike by one bike length. It appears to be 5 bike length away in the picture.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:52 PM
fj1200
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Tachyon XC helmet camera which I have mounted to the right side of my helmet. I have been using Windows Movie Maker to edit the video files.

Here is a video that I took while riding down I-95 towards the Washington Beltway for Rolling Thunder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w05254ZBkO8

Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NickD

You need Live Movie Maker. I have a GoPro HD camera and it tops them all. You can even upload to YouTube from Live Movie maker. Here's a couple vids I did last month on my Sportster with their new chest harness. Also keep in mind that YouTube doesn't do videos from the GoPro justice, they look muck better on your computer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBn01_jXIpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxrRoovNsi8

Quick Reply: Helmet video camera ?'s