General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am considering going to Baby Apes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 PM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am considering going to Baby Apes

Bike is a RK Custom with the stock bars. Reach is fine, pullback is fine, just not so crazy about the wrist angle. I am 5'9" by the way. I am leaning towards either WO 513 or 515. I don't want to get involved in either the expense or the work of changing cables. The bars themselves are fairly pricey, but I think if I can tackle the install myself then maybe I can justify the expense. If I would do this, what is the most challenging part of the process? I read some threads on bar swaps, and they all involved changing cables etc. Is it just tedious more than anything? Patience has never really been my strong point, but I am determined once I start something. Advice?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:01 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Around our area lots of RK owners have installed Heritage bars. See a lot of them compared to taller apes.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer

I put a set of 8 1/2 inch high by 1 1/4 dia short apes on mine (not the ones in the pic) and didn't have to change any cables . they are much more comfortable . I have also head of people putting Heritage bars on as well .

Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 PM
2>4
Road Captain

I have the 8.5'' baby apes by Wild One. They are a huge improvement over the stock Road King handlebars but not perfect for my 5'11'' frame. I think I would get the 10'' or 12.5'' bars if I did it again. Personally, I think the 8.5'' bars look better than taller apes on Road Kings. I would not buy the Heritage style bars. I had them and thought the wrist angle was terrible. Many people here will tell you otherwise but it's your money and you can waste it if you want to. You will need to buy a throttle wire extension. I had the dealer install the bars for me.

Attached Thumbnails I am considering going to Baby Apes-rkc1.jpg  
Old 05-05-2011, 06:07 PM
skully1200
Road Master

Has anyone done the installation themselves? Any obstacles? Will 515's (10 inch) work without cable changes? The thing that troubles me the most is bending the brake line, and getting the throttle and idle cables adjusted correctly. I don't know how much cruise control complicates that. Anything that involves control and potentially safety makes me a little leary. I'm sure its really not that hard, just looking for pointers. For what it's worth, I do have the manual.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,558 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I have 10" Mini apes(515's) for sale as soon as I put on my 16" apes........FYI.I did the swap.had to extend the wires as they are internal,,,,,no need to touch your brake or clutch cables...They will be maxed out, you won't be able to go to any higher bar. PM me for additional info or ask here

Last edited by SeniorChief56; 05-05-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:06 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Apparently, baby apes can help you do the "V" when you wave.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 PM
skully1200
Road Master

How is the riding position with the 8.5 inch 513's? Being 5'9" with a 33 inch sleeve, would I be stretching to reach the bars at all? If the bars are in line with the forks, where does that put the grips in relation to the footboards? I think ideally I would like to have my elbows bent with my hands above my elbows, but below my shoulders if that makes sense. I also don't want to be leaning forward. I know, picky, picky.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I just put a set of W515's on my 2005 Road King Custom.
Like you, I didn't like the wrist angle on the stock bars.
The most tedious part was extending the wiring, takes a while to do that part. I had to bend the brake line some to get it to work, and it will be
pretty much maxed out, You will have to cut the cable ties under the nacelle to get it to fit. The clutch cable will be pretty much maxed out too. I had to reposition where it ties to the frame. All in all, it was pretty easy, took me a couple of evenings to get it done, but I was installing new passing lights at the same time.
Stagger the splices on the harness, and use some shrink tube over the splices. The bars cost me $199 with free ship, plus about $5 in wiring, that's it! I lined the bars up with the fork tubes, and at 5'11" I don't have to reach for them at all, they are a lot more confortable than the stockers.
I got rid of that duckbill thing and went with the standard RK bar cover.
I kept all the original cables, they will work, but this is the limit, any higher bar, and you will need new cables.
Oh, I did buy the bar clamp that Wild One recommends, I think it was $30 at the dealers.
The brake line will bent easily, but some of the rubber section will be visable, not much, but you can see it. You will have to pull it out from the stock location under the nacelle to make it work, and install a new zip tie.
Now that it's all done, I already wish I had gone to the 14 or 16's!
Will see if I can find some pics for you.
Peace
Rags

Last edited by Ragtop; 05-06-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the mini-apes on my Fatboy and I am shorter than 5'9". They fit me perfectly, and I've ridden to Sturgis two times with these bars. Did the install myself, including running the electrical wiring inside the bars. You should be able to do it yourself. No comment on the cables though, since I changed mine out to braided,

Quick Reply: I am considering going to Baby Apes