General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had an accident.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 85RoadsterXLS
Glad you are ok. What an a-hole. Even if you had hit him square in the center of his back bumper, you would have to been going pretty fast to knock him into the vehicle in front of him. He is just rying to get a previous damage fixed at your expense.
I'm glad your ok, and I agree the driver probably already had existing damages and figures he will use you to pay for it. I hope the insurance denies it, but if not, the way the bumper is made on that car they usually replace the whole thing, so it probably won't make much of a difference.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 AM
razorsedge
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hatchetman is correct, new tires are slick and you must use caution with new rubber for the first few hundred miles. I have experience as a bodyman and the damage to the front bumper is from road debris or the owner of the car holding the car wash wand to close to the bumper while trying to wash off dried-on bugs. Be sure to ask your insurance company to verify his insurance coverage, valid license and for any prior damage claims to his car. You only scratched his rear bumper and the rear bumper on that model car is a snap on type. Yes, snap on! I would have reached down and snapped the bumper back in place if it would have been me. The other driver is simply looking for a paycheck. Karma is a bitch and if he is being deceptive, it will come back to get him. Without an actual inspection I cannot say 100% but it looks like the scratches on his bumper might buff out. Also, if you have the same insurance carrier as he does, you may not have to pay a deductible. ie: a State Farm insured driver hits another State Farm driver= no deductible.

Most of all, glad your ok.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:38 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, Hatch. Yeah. I know about the slick tire. Could have had something to do with the slide. I thought that the 250 or more miles would have taken care of that. I had been riding on them a while few weeks.
Today was the first day around 86* in over a few weeks here. Don't know if that could have contributed any packed road oil to come out. There was a driveway about three houses back that had a car (a muscle car) that looked to be a weekend drag car for someone with its hood up and rear tires off on blocks. Don't know if he could have been out practicing take offs or spilling oil on the street.
And as mentioned it could have just been bad luck and a dry lockup. Sure did suck, but I wasn't ever really scared or affraid. Just tried to evaluate, and react best I could. You know @ 20-30 mph things happen faster than you think, but at the same time slow way down, too. Almost pulled this one out without a incident. I think if I could have known for sure that the other lane was free. I could have made it, or if I had been on the right side of the road and not the left. I could have went into someones driveway, or passed on his right. At the same time I was worried that someone from behind was going to sandwich me in. So that could have taken 1/2 second of my time while I was trying to get control by looking in the rear view to see what was coming at me from behind.

Razorsedge, I did snap it back on. The bolt was there, but the last ring is where the bolt holds the bumper. That ring was broke. I'll admit that I broke that ring. That front damage would have had to be made by a model of a hauling van. LOL If he'd hit a real van he'd have a broken grill not a scratched wind guard. I am going to pull the right peg off after the adjuster comes and looks at the damage to my bike. I am not going to file a claim on my ride. After I get it off, I will attempt to flatten out the twist. If it doesn't work. I'll just spend the dough for a new set.

Still kinda amped here. We have a sick boy on our hands, and he just woke me up, but I wasn't sleeping much anyway.

Last edited by editbrain; 05-19-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:21 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glade to hear your ok brotha,

Old 05-19-2011, 04:39 AM
FishStick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad your ok

Old 05-19-2011, 08:56 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are ok.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

New tires have "mold release agents" on them which prevent the rubber from sticking to the tire mold. Takes 100-500 miles to wear off. Super slippery when wet. No sense in fighting the ticket. You were in the wrong. Please no contest and take your lumps. As for the guy you hit...let your insurance company fix it. If they want to let the guy hose them for the front bumper to get him to STFU then it is their $$ who cares? It is cheaper for them to pay the guy off and get a signed release versus having say his neck hurts and lawyer up.

Glad you are Ok....consider that #1 of your 9 lives...8 to go.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:05 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If nothing else, you must learn from this that you were following too closely to control your bike.

Glad you're OK.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 PM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up here in Michigan this time of year, when we suddenly have a hot or warm day amongst the chilly ones, you will find a slick of anti-freeze in some of the intersections where cars either leaked a bit or overfilled the radiator and overflow tank. Very slippery. All it takes is a small amount to stick to the tire and start a skid.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Brad11
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Accidents happen, though the guy sounds like an *** for not pulling forward or giving you a hand with the bike. Hope he doesn’t make it an ongoing hassle for you.

Quick Reply: Had an accident.