General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had an accident.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Glad your OK! Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 PM
onadraw
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
Dude, I learned I learned that some people are great keyboard quarterbacks. I admit guilt by saying I hit the guy. I just know that I did nothing different than any other ride. I kept the recommended distance. Why do you insist that I was doing something wrong, and accidents aren't accidents?
I don't understand your intention to bash me, scare me, or whatever it is that happened.
If you cannot read and discuss an issue without placing blame.. I don't know. I have a right to buy whatever brake pad I want, and makes me feel comfortable. Also it very well could be that the pads are not good with my rotors. Could it really have been some oil on the roadway? Or is it really imaginary. If you can tell from your keyboard. Why aren't you solving the worlds problems? You are more gifted than Jesus Christ himself.

For one. You can't even see that I did a hell of a job avoiding an even worse accident. I didn't freeze up like the guy who drove off the cliff, or many other people who just screw the pooch and take what is coming. I had a mishap, and I made the best of what was happening the best I could. Despite what caused it, when I was in it. I tried to save myself, and almost did. If there wasn't a car in the on coming lane, I would have missed the car.

If you cannot realize that accidents happen even to the most prepared, safety conscience people. Then I don't know what to say.

All I can say is thanks for your concern, but don't treat me like a punk kid. I am a grown man, and I don't appreciate the patronizing of my actions, and I don't like the way you charge me guilt with your assumptions when I have told you the entire story. Accept that accidents happen. If I were to have been tailgating and slammed my rear break. I would admit it.

When the guy I hit told the police officer that he was watching me slow down. The rider wasn't tailgating me, but then the bike just went out from under him, and he regained control and tried to miss me, but there was a car in the on coming lane. He had no choice, but to stay his course. I guess he is a liar also.

Please reconsider your attitude on this incident. I am not trying to bash you. It is really important to your future that you learn from this experience.

Accidents are always someone's fault. You did a good job in keeping your head and minimizing the damage but the fact is that you lost control in the first place.

If you locked up the rear brake because you weren't used to the new brake pads then you need more practice with them before riding on busy streets.

If you locked up the rear brake because you drove through something slippery then learn from that and try to avoid wet spots or road paint or other recognizable slippery sections of the road.

If you locked up the rear brake because you were applying too much rear brake while down shifting then learn from that.

In any case, for the conditions you experienced, you were following too closely or you would not have hit a car or had to try to avoid it.

I say these things because "bad luck" had nothing to do with it and as hard as it is sometimes, it is really important to take responsibility for our actions so we can learn from these bad experiences.

By the way, you are not alone. I and many others have had learning experiences like this one and sometimes much worse.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Unsubscribed because of the idiocy being exhibited by control freaks and blammers.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:45 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Can't stop your motorcycle for any reason be it, rain, oil, antifreeze, act of God---hit someones car for any reason from the rear----you failed to maintain lane and control speed. Reads like you did a good job of almost avoiding impact. Get on internet and have attitude and resort to insults and name calling because some don't agree with you. Sounds like you have issues besides this being a tough playground.
Originally Posted by editbrain
Unsubscribed because of the idiocy being exhibited by control freaks and blammers.

Last edited by oldairboater; 05-19-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Boy this thread sure went south in a hurry!!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:53 AM
PauleyB
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, thank goodness you are ok. Maybe ego damaged a little and you might have to pitch a case to the old lady to get back in the saddle right away but all in all, good save. Your experience and instinct got you out of a jam no matter what got you there.

There are a great number of events that create a crash. Remember the crash chain from MSF school? Not to place blame or point fingers but look at the events in the chain. Maybe following too close, maybe going too fast, maybe too hard on the rear brake, maybe unknown conditions like oil on the roadway, maybe a little look away for just long enough to have to brake quickly. Remove any one of those and probably no crash.

I had a couple of learning experiences today. Three close calls, all going very slowly, all my fault because I let my mind wander. Just goes to show that you are your own best defense out there. I reflected on those things as soon as I got to work and I know that I will be more attentive from now on. I hope you take the opportunity that was given to you today to be a better rider for a very long time.

Take care,

-PB

Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Avmech97
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you are still here to tell the story.