General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 years in prison for intoxicated driver who kill two on M/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 PM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 years in prison for intoxicated driver who kill two on M/C

I don' know how to post it but there is a story on www.fresnobee.com now about how an intoxicated driver was given 18 years in state prison on a manslaughter charge for killing driver and passenger on a motorcycle. Must serve 85% in Califrnia on this crime. ANYONE KNOW HOW TO POST THE STORY ON THE FORUM? Thanks

Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

dfndr, on your computer, open the story, go to the url at the top of your screen (the part that starts with http// . Click on the url to highlight it, then right click on the highlighted url and hit copy.

Come back here, right click again, and hit paste. The url will then show up here.

As an example, I just did it to this page, and the url below is the same as the top of this page.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...wo-on-m-c.html

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I found the article. By doing the above, here is the url to the article.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/06/01/...k=omni_popular

To copy the article, click on it and hold down your left mouse button, and drag the article, highlighting what you want to copy. Release your left mouse button, and right click, click copy, and come back here, right click again, and hit paste.

Here it is:

A drunken driver was sentenced Wednesday in Fresno County Superior Court to 18 years and eight months in prison for killing two people, including a drug-and-alcohol counselor.

Jose Calderon, 26, said he was sorry for his actions and was ready to take full responsibility for killing Kenneth Klein, 54, of Clovis and his girlfriend, Jeri Lyn Perry, 52, of San Jose.

"I'm ashamed for what I have done," Calderon said, addressing the family and friends of the victims. "I hope and pray that you can find in your hearts to forgive me one day."

On April 28, Calderon pleaded no contest to two counts of vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and hit and run causing death.

At Wednesday's hearing, attorney Vijay Dinakar, who represented Calderon, sought a sentence recommended by the Probation Department – 14 years and eight months in prison.

Deputy District Attorney Stephanie Baldovi, however, wanted the maximum penalty of 18 years and eight months, saying Calderon had a blood-alcohol level of 0.22%, or nearly three times the legal limit to drive, when he rear-ended Klein's motorcycle on McKinley Avenue near Blackstone Avenue on April 16 last year.

Calderon also was speeding and had smoked marijuana, Baldovi said. After the crash, he drove off and abandoned his car, but police captured him later that night.

Klein died of his injuries three days later. Perry, a passenger on the motorcycle, died May 7.

Family and friends of the two victims also wanted the maximum sentence.

They said Klein had devoted his life to helping recovering addicts and alcoholics by being a counselor for Madera County Behavioral Health Services and Kings View Community Services. Two hours before the collision, he was helping people in a DUI program, they said.

Perry, a former drug addict and alcoholic, had been clean and sober for 19 years in order to raise her teenage son, said her sister, Marla Hartley, 61.

"She was my sister and best friend," Hartley said.

She then raised a glass frame filled with photographs of Perry and showed it to Calderon.

"This is who you killed," Hartley said.

Calderon wiped a tear from his face as Hartley spoke.

Judge Jon Nick Kapetan agreed with the prosecution, saying Calderon's "crime amounted to great violence."

He noted for the record that if Calderon had used "another instrument" to kill the two victims, he would have faced a much longer prison sentence.

Afterward, Hartley said she felt sorry for Calderon, who is married and has children.

"I think he is truly sorry for what he did," Hartley said. "He not only devastated us, but he hurt his own family as well."

The reporter can be reached at plopez@fresnobee.com or (559) 441-6434.

Read more: http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/06/01/...#ixzz1OAj54cOT

Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 181 Posts

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/06/01/...k=omni_popular

A drunken driver was sentenced Wednesday in Fresno County Superior Court to 18 years and eight months in prison for killing two people, including a drug-and-alcohol counselor.

Jose Calderon, 26, said he was sorry for his actions and was ready to take full responsibility for killing Kenneth Klein, 54, of Clovis and his girlfriend, Jeri Lyn Perry, 52, of San Jose.

"I'm ashamed for what I have done," Calderon said, addressing the family and friends of the victims. "I hope and pray that you can find in your hearts to forgive me one day."

On April 28, Calderon pleaded no contest to two counts of vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and hit and run causing death.

At Wednesday's hearing, attorney Vijay Dinakar, who represented Calderon, sought a sentence recommended by the Probation Department – 14 years and eight months in prison.

Deputy District Attorney Stephanie Baldovi, however, wanted the maximum penalty of 18 years and eight months, saying Calderon had a blood-alcohol level of 0.22%, or nearly three times the legal limit to drive, when he rear-ended Klein's motorcycle on McKinley Avenue near Blackstone Avenue on April 16 last year.

Calderon also was speeding and had smoked marijuana, Baldovi said. After the crash, he drove off and abandoned his car, but police captured him later that night.

Klein died of his injuries three days later. Perry, a passenger on the motorcycle, died May 7.

Family and friends of the two victims also wanted the maximum sentence.

They said Klein had devoted his life to helping recovering addicts and alcoholics by being a counselor for Madera County Behavioral Health Services and Kings View Community Services. Two hours before the collision, he was helping people in a DUI program, they said.

Perry, a former drug addict and alcoholic, had been clean and sober for 19 years in order to raise her teenage son, said her sister, Marla Hartley, 61.

"She was my sister and best friend," Hartley said.

She then raised a glass frame filled with photographs of Perry and showed it to Calderon.

"This is who you killed," Hartley said.

Calderon wiped a tear from his face as Hartley spoke.

Judge Jon Nick Kapetan agreed with the prosecution, saying Calderon's "crime amounted to great violence."

He noted for the record that if Calderon had used "another instrument" to kill the two victims, he would have faced a much longer prison sentence.

Afterward, Hartley said she felt sorry for Calderon, who is married and has children.

"I think he is truly sorry for what he did," Hartley said. "He not only devastated us, but he hurt his own family as well."

Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Should be life IMO.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 PM
onadraw
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

"There but for the grace of God go I."

I don't do things this stupid anymore but I really am glad I survived my 20's without causing this level of suffering to others.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Should be life IMO.
Yep. For some reason, these guys never get enough time. Here in KY we have "The deadliest drunk driver in the history of the United States," Larry Mahony. He hit a school bus and burned up 27 kids and only got 16 years for it.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:19 AM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel for all parties involved. I could of been in Calderon's shoes a few times in my early days, and now I'm in the victims shoes everytime a ride. God be with us all drive safe and drive sober.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 AM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When will the individual states wake up and strengthen their DUI laws? We as a nation need to change our perception of friends and neighbors that get caught driving drunk. 1st time offenders need jail time.

Three years ago, my sister was killed by a drunk driver. He was five times the legal limit at 11:00 in the morning and had four prior DUIs with no jail time. After sitting in jail and getting continuences so he could spend time with his family and seek medical treatments, he was finally sentenced to nine years. NOT LONG ENOUGH!

Last week, my neighbors father was struck while raking leaves in his yard by a drunk that lost control of his car on the way home.

There are a lot of folks out there with DUIs and people accept the crime like it's just a glorified speeding ticket.

It's no different than firing a gun into a crowd. You may hit someone, you may not. The punishment should be the same!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brenn
Yep. For some reason, these guys never get enough time. Here in KY we have "The deadliest drunk driver in the history of the United States," Larry Mahony. He hit a school bus and burned up 27 kids and only got 16 years for it.
Never had any kids (that I know of), but he would have been executed if one of those 27 school kids were mine.

Quick Reply: 18 years in prison for intoxicated driver who kill two on M/C