General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a leather jacket, dont know if its real or fake, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
If you greedy anti-union guys would just work for the same wages as the Chinese, businesses could make stuff here to send overseas since no one could afford to buy it here anymore.
Actually, if they worked for that price, they could still buy things here, but prices here would be much lower, compared to overseas, so there wouldn't be an economic advantage in having stuff made there. It's called "inflation." You make more, so we need a raise to buy your stuff, so you need a raise to by our stuff, etc., etc.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nocturnalnature
Shhh man! Thats supposed to be a secret .
Icon does make an outstanding jacket and you can almost always find a smoking good deal if you look around.
I've owned 3 and each one has always given me that "damn this thing is well made" feeling when I pull it out of the package.
Oops! Sorry to let the cat out of the bag...

I love my ICON. It has all the right features and is built like a tank. I get compliments on it everywhere I go. It's made in Portland Oregon and in most cases, costs less than any Harley jacket that I have considered. So far I have found no need to replace it or get an additional jacket except maybe a lighter summer one.

Harley does what it has to do in order to be profitable and I have to do to make my money go further. I would gladly wear Harley gear beyond the occasional t-shirt or sweater but I can never justify the price versus quality of their jackets or other leathers such as chaps. There seems to be plenty of quality stuff out there and although it is not my first priority when purchasing, much of it tends to be made in the U.S.A and tends to cost less if only because it doesn't carry the expense of the Harley name.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:50 PM
dortiz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea
trial by fire
timeless test
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sebastian
You can tell if its leather by holding the cherry of a lit cigarette as close to it as possible without touching it. Do it in a spot that is not likely to be seen by others (in case it is fake).
Leather will do nothing, vinyl (pleather) will deform or melt.

If that fails put the jacket on and jump in deep water. Leather is natural and will have air to pull you back up and vinyl will just weigh you down ; )

Old 12-19-2011, 07:11 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

HD does not design or manufacture motorcycle gear. They just sell the rights to use their logo on jackets, TShirts, etc.. If you can live without a HD logo, buy a jacket from a company that is actually in the motorcycle apparel business. You'll get a vastly superior product for the same money as the dealer is charging, or a similar product for 50% less than the dealer. Example: AlpineStars, Dainese, FirstGear, Joe Rocket, Olympia, RC Taici, Rev'It, Tourmaster and many more.....

Last edited by fat_tony; 12-19-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:09 AM
Pepedro63
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ptcs
You are exactly right...I have been told this company is the company that actually produces all the jackets for Harley. They are allowed to sell the overruns...I looked hard at purchasing one of them myself..They are the exact same jacket as is in the stealerships...
Your right, same women jacket 98142-09VW in local dealership here in Finland is priced 799 euros = 1001 dollars, when i ordered it from China it´s 149 euros = 186 dollars delivered in my home door. You can guess where i bought it ;-)

Petri