General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you HAVE to have louder pipes?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Hutch1999
I think generally the younger you are and the younger you feel (mentally) the louder the exhaust. My dad is 52 and only has basic slip-ons on his evo electra glide classic, but my uncle (his brother) who is 47 has the loudest possible exhaust he could find on his deuce. Just two different mentalities.

It also comes down to the type of riders. Of course the weekend warriors and bar hoppers want something loud and obnoxious, while the touring guys and daily riders prefer a more mellow sound.
My first Harley, a '77 Sportster, had straight pipes. Fast forward 25 years and the Ultra I'm riding today has stock pipes. I like the thunder, but not on my bike anymore.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,094 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
My first Harley, a '77 Sportster, had straight pipes. Fast forward 25 years and the Ultra I'm riding today has stock pipes. I like the thunder, but not on my bike anymore.
Sooooooo True!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 PM
MGS Performance
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Louder isn't always better, but to achieve power, louder is a byproduct that can't be avoided. The difference comes when it is excessively loud. Simply taking out the baffles in the stock muffler will not help power, in fact it usually hurts power. A motor is basically a pump. The better it uses the air it takes in and expels out, the more efficient it is and the more power it produces. There are a number of factors to make this happen, but generally speaking, putting in more air and getting rid of it faster will create more power. The motor is controlled combustion. To create combustion, four elements are necessary, fuel, air, heat, and the chemical reaction. Engineers attempt to create the perfect environment for this process to occur. Changing fuel levels and ignition timing can aid in this pursuit, but giving the process more air, fuel, and heat increases the output of energy which translates to more power. Installing an after-market air cleaner that allows more air-flow is the first step. Installing an after-market exhaust system that will expel the air and gases quicker than the stock system will produce more power. Installing a power-commander or equivalent allows the process to be calibrated and balanced to produce the most power and most efficient use of the air, fuel, and heat. We are biased (for a good reason) and prefer our MGS True Duals to accomplish this task. When it comes to sound, it depends on the rider, but the riders who have installed our exhaust systems have been overwhelmingly satisfied with the deep-throated exhaust note that is loud when you want it, and not when you don't at cruising speeds on the open-road. Go to our website and click on the video of the True Duals install to hear them for yourself.
Ultimately, enjoy your ride the way you want it, nobody else's opinion matters. If you're happy with the sound and power from your bike, than it is right, period.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 AM
harleygeezer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can leave your bike completely stock if that's what you like and it will run just fine.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 AM
greenorange
6th Gear

Superb! Typically I by no means read entire articles however the way you wrote this information and facts is just remarkable and this kept my interest in reading and I enjoyed it.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 AM
05RKCRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Rineharts are loud even thou I got a set of the smaller baffles but I don't `rap' them in town & if someone designed a quiet set of pipes that gave me the same performance I'd buy them tomorrow.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 AM
DanDolfn
Tourer

Where exactly is that in Central Fl?? Just wondering, I haven't seen that in years.

I live in Lake Placid, about ten miles south of Sebring. The road I went 45 miles on with almost no traffic was Old State Road 8.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:07 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent777
May I ask where you found them at that price? I'm looking for a set right now and they're all about $100 more.
The most expensive V&H Twin Slash Slipons have a list price of $399, so whatever you're looking at, they're raping you!

I put 3" V&H Twin Slash Slipons on my 11 Fatboy, and I paid less than $300. The internet is your friend.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
You can make the bike sound any way you want to. I like the Supertrapp idea myself if you want to adjust your sound to your liking or you can just stay with stock for that matter. Everyone's different that way. I seriously f***ed up a couple months ago and took the baffles out of my stock mufflers. I've since corrected that mistake but look at the statement beside my sig pic. Not just loud as hell but they were just plain obnoxious! My personality is obnoxious but my bike doesn't have to be!
I traded Thunderheaders for Supertrapps expecting a drop in performance. The ability to tune the pipe to the engine build gives you the flexibility to get some good numbers. My HP stayed the same as with the Thunderheader but the TQ dropped by 5 so I could have them quieter.

I liked them enough, I bought them for my wifes bike. I found a nice used set on Craigslist for $150 with tips.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:41 PM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveHate
Have you ever ridden in a really big city with heavy traffic, tense drivers and women with mobile phones?

I admit that when I go over some obscure village in the mountains I am ashamed how much noise produce ... but in the city, it saved me many times.
Ditto!!!