General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chopped Bobbers & WA State Patrol

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chopped Bobbers & WA State Patrol

A friend of mine is building a nice bobber, but he's a bit worried about the 'reception' he'll get from the WSP riding a bike without fenders? And no....I'm not trying to cause a pissin match about LEO's.

Since I ride bikes that pretty much comply with equipment statutes, my only personal experience with the WSP involves non-DOT helmet and speed 'issues', has anyone run across WA troopers who cite riders for 'bobber' equipment issues?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You'd have to check the state statutes in Washington. Some states have exceptions for "antique" bikes. If he's building it from a old bike, he might get away with it. Gonna be dependant on the laws, how the bike is titled, etc.,. But if Washington has a blanket law that all motorcycles must have fenders, he's pretty much screwed and can expect to be scrutinized pretty regularly.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does Washington have any statute that requires fenders? KY doesn't. I've never even heard of a statute like that. If there's no law requiring it, you don't need an exception and the police don't care.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucker Punch Sally builds production bikes sans the front fender.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by brenn
Does Washington have any statute that requires fenders? KY doesn't. I've never even heard of a statute like that. If there's no law requiring it, you don't need an exception and the police don't care.
Yup, apparently they do....just trying to see if any Washington riders have been hassled about it. All sorts of laws out there that the cops don't enforce.

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/...motorcycle.pdf

Hell, after reading the reg I'm not sure my stock FXD complies with it.

Last edited by krusty1; 02-14-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37

My Pan has no front fender and I've never had problems.

I have a friend with a 2000 Springer and rides without a front fender even though it's not a classic bike, he never got hassled.

Last edited by Sling Blade 14; 02-14-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pointman10
My Pan has no front fender and I've never had problems.

I have a friend with a 2000 Springer and rides without a front fender even though it's not a classic bike, he never got hassled.

Beautiful bike.

I should also mention he doesn't want a rear fender on it either. According to the code your bike wouldn't comply....the rear fender doesn't come halfway down the tire (axle height). Sounds to me like the cops think that particular RCW is bullshit too.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:13 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the bottom of the 46.37.500 it references this section, Severability, which appears to me to exempt motorcycles from fender requirements.
RCW 46.37.010

Scope and effect of regulations — General penalty.
(7) The provisions of this chapter with respect to equipment required on vehicles shall not apply to:

(a) Motorcycles or motor-driven cycles except as herein made applicable;

Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DDuess
In the bottom of the 46.37.500 it references this section, Severability, which appears to me to exempt motorcycles from fender requirements.
RCW 46.37.010

Scope and effect of regulations — General penalty.
(7) The provisions of this chapter with respect to equipment required on vehicles shall not apply to:

(a) Motorcycles or motor-driven cycles except as herein made applicable;

You can probably thank the Dual Sport segment for that. Could you imagine having a statute compliant bike and trying to go off-road with it?

Old 02-14-2012, 01:27 PM
1997springer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience is if you've got a tail light, headlight and license plate you won't be bothered unless you're pulled over for something else. If you don't get pulled over you're probably safe. Once you get pulled over though everything from there depends on the cop, the cops mood, the infraction you were pulled over for, your attitude and if you've got a lot of pryers.
Let me finish this post by saying if you're gonna worry about riding a custom chopper/bobber maybe you should rethink your choice of bike..... just sayin

Quick Reply: Chopped Bobbers & WA State Patrol