General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike rental in Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:29 PM
shark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike rental in Puerto Rico

I'll be in Puerto Rico for a few days in February. I've searched with google, but can't find any information on HD rentals on the island. Was thinking about taking an afternoon tour.

Any members rented down there?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 01-19-2007, 03:22 PM
hd55
Cruiser
Default RE: Bike rental in Puerto Rico

When Iwas in the Nav the only thing you could rent were mopeds,and they Barely made it up most hills,and there's a lot of them(Hills). But this was in the 80's

Old 01-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the only dealer listed on the island :
Motor Sport, Inc
Acuarela St. #92
Guaynabo, , PRI 00969-3507
(787) 790-4900
(787)272-6120 (fax)

You might try www.eaglerider.com . They do not show a dealer down there but they may have a referral.

I know we have at least 2 members from the Island here on the board. Hopefully one of them will see this post.

Good Luck,

Primo

Old 01-19-2007, 03:50 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there in 85. The local drivers are crazy. I wouldn't want to be on a bike in San Juan.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:10 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was there a few years ago and you couldn't get me to ride a motorcycle there if they were giving them away. I'm from Boston and know about bad and insane drivers, but the drivers in Puerto Rico were the worst I've ever seen in my life. We rented a car for a day and I was almost hit fourtimes in three hours. They all drive like they're leaving the scene of a bank robbery in a stolen car.If you do rent a bike there, get all the insurance you can get....you'llneed it.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:28 PM
shark
Advanced

Thanks guys,

PeteMac, I'm a Boston boy too. Pretty scary to imagine a situation worse than our friendly( sarcasm) roads. I went to colllege in Wisconsin in the early 80's, and took some of my mid western friends home one year at Spring Break. They didn't dare try and drive.

Maybe I'll heed everone's advice and stay on the beach enjoying the fruity drinks.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:01 PM
RandyM1911
Tourer

The trick to driving in Puerto Rico is to NEVER use a turn signal! I know it's a tough habit to break for those of us who still know how to drive, but it's necessary if you want to survive driving on the island. The locals never signal and can spot a tourist a mile away because they use signals. Petemac & shark, being BeanTown boys you ought to be able to handle the traffic in PR, no problem. Just drive like you were on 128 during rush hour, LOL. The first time I drove that road during major traffic I was stunned at all the folks driving in the breakdown lane, legally! Just try exiting anywhere off the loop with all those people flying by you on the right when you're not expecting it. Pretend you're home but don't signal and you'll be fine. As far as riding a bike, as soon as you get out of San Juan you should be okay. You probably have to worry more about being mugged sitting at a stop light in San Juan than anything else...

Have fun & ride safe.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 PM
ckzopfi
Stage I
Default Use extreme caution!

I've been in PR twice in the past year and did some iland touring in an SUV. I thought it would be great to ride my scooter through the mountains but I just can't get past the unsafe feeling fom driving these hazardous, treacherous roads. As someone said above, your risking your life trying to ride anywhere in the vicinity of San Juan. It's like a bumper car track, you never know when someone will plow into you. I traveled south from San Jaun and took a mountain road hwy 15 east from Cayo and I couldn't beleive the road conditions. It reminded me of the show Ice road truckers. Many places two cars couldn't pass each other. Gravel in the turns and the locals drive extremely fast and unsafe. I'm an adventerous and chancy kind of guy, but the risks just outwiegh the joy of a pleasurable ride. I thinks this is why you don't see much on motorcycle rentals.