General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Rod special too much for "newer" rider?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
conan48
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night Rod special too much for "newer" rider?

Hey guys,

REALLY interested in the 2013 Night Rod Special. I LOVE the look of the black denim with orange accents. This bike is probably the best looking bike I've ever seen. While I like the look of the traditional Harley's like the fat bob, there is really something special about the night rod to me. It looks so mean and beefy. I love those rear fat tires!!

I just started riding last April and always wanted a cruiser but I was advised to go with something like a rebel or some other 250cc POS cruiser that wouldn't even get me on the highway. Instead I was convinced by people to get a 250cc sport bike. I now own the CBR 250, but I've already "mastered" this bike and I'm looking for something to get my juices flowing.

I enjoy riding the CBR and was looking at a 600cc equivalent sport bike, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted something else.

I think I'd kill myself on a 600cc sport bike. I can't help but ride like a retard squid on a sport bike. I've had a few close calls already and I've been told by people that I ride too aggressive. The riding position, the weight, etc makes a sports bike really hard to ride slower or just enjoy the scenery and relax. I also wan't to do some long distance trips where comfort would be preferred.

Now I know the Night Rod is a beast and can get me in trouble, but I'm hoping that the riding position, lower seat height, and less nimble (yes I actually wan't a bike that is heavier and less manuverable to keep me in check) feel will make me enjoy the ride more instead of just looking for an adrenaline rush. I know that Night Rod can beat many sport bikes in the 0-60 race, but my problem isn't the acceleration but the weaving in and out of traffic and taking turns at break neck speeds. Also, I don't really enjoy other squids on the road. They all seem like douche bags and ride like aholes (like me) My friends ride sports but I don't care about fitting in with them.

I really wanted a bike to go on nice long cross country trips and see the world. Then I got a sports, and I've just been riding for the rush.

Anyway, Do you guys think I'd be OK on a vrod as my first cruiser? or should I start with something less powerful. I would say my skills have advanced very quickly. I've never really come close to dumping my bike and I haven't stalled or made any user errors (other then riding like a jackass) in over 6 months. I have a very good feel for the throttle, and have mastered advanced techniques like rev matched downshifting, etc.

I did ride a 250cc cruiser at the training course and liked it. I rode it after the sports bike, so the feet forward position would take a little bit of time to get used to as would the weight. I'm 6 foot and weight 185 and work out a lot, so I'm hoping the weight won't be too much of an issue with the Vrod.

Was also looking at the Ducat Diavel, but eliminated it due to the fact that it's not really a cruiser and the riding position would most likely get me into just as much trouble as a sport. Also looked at the Victory Hammer, but the Vrod seems to have it beat in every category and it's not a Harley

So what do you guys think? I was thinking about the Iron 883, but I think I'd get bored of it too quick and I hear it's cramped for taller riders, and more of a womans bike. (not my words) I think if I just jump to a more powerful bike I can grow into it and not feel the need to upgrade in a few months.

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 327 Posts

Well i dont think the Night Rod wqould be a problem for a newer rider at all.. Most of the Power is in the upper end. If you take it easy on the throttle you dont even notice the power. Also if you like the big rear tire on bikes look into the new Harley Breakout! Night Rod is alot cheaper in price tho..

Old 03-13-2013, 05:24 PM
conan48
6th Gear

yeah the breakout looks really nice. Fat tire with classic Harley looks.....tough choice. I also like the fact that the Vrod seems to be the most tech advanced Harley with fuel injection, liquid cooled, etc. Vrod is also supposed to be very reliable.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Go for it. I love those bikes! I walked into the dealership the other day and they had a white denim Vrod Muscle sitting on the floor and I almost wet myself... I have wanted one of those things sooooo bad! One day

But as for the Nightrod, go for it. Sick looking bike, plenty of power, turns better than your traditional cruiser and, from my understanding, is just a seat swap and small fairing away from being a decent long distance cruiser. Your weight will not be a problem, I have the same issue you do to where I am about 6'1" and workout alot (but I'm about 250 ) and the ride was still great when I test rode the Vrod Muscle. But if you meant the weight of the bike, you won't even be able to tell unless you are about to drop it. Don't do that. I was able to save my Fatboy once (it was really really cold outside and I was anxious to go inside and forgot to put the kickstand down) but I about got a hernia. The damn thing weighs 800 lbs.

As for the Breakout vs. the Nightrod... I will say the Nightrod and the Vrod Muscle are probably the best bag-for-your-buck Harleys out there. The Breakout costs more than a damn Rod King! But it is pretty damn sexy though.

Last edited by CaptainMorgan_SOS; 03-13-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

My wife demoed the same bike and loved it. She opened it right up, no problem. I was hoping she'd buy one but settled for a Dyna...she's happy.
Get the bike you like.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Not a VRod fan myself, but they are absolutely AWSOME bikes. Local dealer (HD OC NJ) has a low mileage CVO going for a (relative) song. I'd love to have one as a second bike. Go For It!!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Jump on one for a test run & see how it fits...then, go from there.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 1,216 Posts

I fell for the "mean and beefy"
I bought it on looks alone and have put 2 miles on it waiting for warmer weather.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 PM
conan48
6th Gear

Thanks guys,

I've found out there is a demo ride event on April 21 near me. Should have a bunch of bikes to try out. I was hoping to have the bike before then but I guess I could wait. Does anyone know how demos work? Do they let you out on your own or do you just ride around some parking lot course?

The first time I was introduced to the VROD was from a show. I think it was mega factories. They went to the Harley factory and showed the bike being built from start to finish and that convinced me how much these people making Harleys really love what they do. I was like damn that bike must be their most expensive bike they make because of all the tech, but when I checked the website.......seemed like a a sweet deal.

Why is the VROD less then something like the Breakout when the VROD seems much more advanced in terms of engine, electronics, frame, materials, etc? Is it because some people refuse to accept the VROD as a "real" Harley? Crazy.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM
conan48
6th Gear

I've been riding through the entire Canadian winter up here. Almost everyday. LOL. People looks at me like I'm crazy. For 2 months I didn't see one single bike out on the road. I will say my skills have really developed while riding on ice and snow. U really have to be one with the bike to feel the road under you and know how to react very fast when tires lose traction.

How many of you guys ride in the winter?

Quick Reply: Night Rod special too much for "newer" rider?