General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

financing-bad credit

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 AM
b3dd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would second what several others have already said... if you have credit card debt pay that off first, then look at your debt to income ratio. Debt to income ratio is often overlooked by people who are getting ready to apply for credit, but financers use this almost as much as your credit score. Credit cards count as a debt even if they are paid off because they are open credit lines. After you have paid off those credit cards, if you need to adjust this ratio, I would recommend closing all but 1 or 2 of the credit cards. What financers really want to see on a credit score is a range of debt types (home, auto, specialty loan, major credit card, retail credit card) with a good history of payments. Having 1 of each of these types of debt will improve your credit as quickly as possible, but any more than that and it could be detrimental to your credit score. Also frequently opening and closing lines of credit is detrimental to your credit score as well. Good luck and hope you get something sorted out.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM
bspurr13
Advanced

Try freedom road financial. I know someone who got financed thought them with bad credit. I think he put about half down though, and Interest was like 15-16 percent.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, you might not get a brand new one, but if you had saved for a large down payment, you may want to search craigslist and land a cheaper, used bike. It is hard to settle for a little less, but sometimes it is the correct move.

I see good looking harleys for 3-5K all day long around here.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
RoadKing2438
Road Master

I would pay the credit cards down first. The easiest to build your credit back up is with revolving credit, i.e. credit cards, but you have to stay on top of them. Buy something small and pay it off. Never keep too high of a balance on credit card, none if at all possible and always pay more than the minimum payment. It took me a long time to convince my of of that. Now she likes being able to go and pay cash for what we want. And if we can't pay cash for it, well we don't need it. There are exceptions of course but very few.

Ride the Honda, pay the cards off and save for a bit. I would be happier doing it that way for sure.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is not what you want to hear, but if you can come up with $3400 down and can do the $240 a month for two years. Do it to a savings account and in two years you can own a sporty free and clear. $3400 plus $5760= $9160. They are a hell of a lot more fun to ride with out payments. Mike

Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 AM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You said you have a motorcycle, that's what counts! Ride it and enjoy it.

In the meantime, get your financial house in order, pay off high interest credit cards, give your credit time to recover from the bankruptcy, and think about a Harley after you have accomplished these goals.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, I hope I didn't sound like I was lecturing or judging. You were out of work for a year and that can be hard on a person's finances. So nothing personal intended... but I stand by my advice.

Last edited by RPS1981; 04-08-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Wait until you can afford to pay cash for a nice low mileage bike.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Instead of digging further in, save some money and ride what you have. What's that bike worth - $3000? If you earn enough to make high interest payments on a bike that's overpriced, you certainly make enough to set aside chunks of cash to later buy a $5-6000 bike with your savings and your Honda.

Financing is not for everyone. My bike is financed. But - I have good credit and a rate of 2.9. I could pay it off right now, but I like hanging on to my cash especially while paying at such a low rate. High interest loans are for chumps who lack patience and responsibility. Sorry. That's how it is.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
CMA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nevada72
Instead of digging further in, save some money and ride what you have. What's that bike worth - $3000? If you earn enough to make high interest payments on a bike that's overpriced, you certainly make enough to set aside chunks of cash to later buy a $5-6000 bike with your savings and your Honda.

Financing is not for everyone. My bike is financed. But - I have good credit and a rate of 2.9. I could pay it off right now, but I like hanging on to my cash especially while paying at such a low rate. High interest loans are for chumps who lack patience and responsibility. Sorry. That's how it is.
+1

You will be able to find someone to loan you the money if you look hard enough BUT you will be digging yourself in deeper in the hole. Put as much as you possibly can into getting those cards paid off. Then save for a bike.

Credit card debt will make your credit rating worse, which then makes your interest rates higher. So even if you decide to finance the bike, you'll find more lenders and better rates after you get the credit cards paid off.

Not what you want to hear i'll bet. Our society has come to expect immediate gratification. It takes a lot of financial and personal maturity to wait until you can afford something. Sometime part of affording something includes financing it (most people aren't able to pay cash for houses or cars) - in most cases, though, easy access to credit can be a huge issue and could easily lead (back) to bankruptcy. Sorry to say it, but that's where this could lead for you again if you're not careful.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by osb
save your money, ride what you have and enjoy it.

get what you want later.

I agree

Quick Reply: financing-bad credit