General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

financing-bad credit

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:47 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

You got into a bankruptcy situation from making bad financial decisions. Instead of repeating the pattern with a high interest loan, be smart and save some cash.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ronss
hi
i want to know how i get financing with bad credit..i had to declare bankruptcy 2 yrs ago, no job for a year...i have now woked 2 yrs, going on 3rd on my present job...but financing seems impossible..i asked one dealer if i put a big down payment, he said it does not help....i own a honda shadow 750 ace, and thought i might try harley...i live in arizona, bike week now, and i seem out of place with my honda ace...and i love the sound of the harleys, espically in a group...nothng sounds better...anyhow..i found someone tha would..he has a 92 harley, fsxr,,,something like that...3400 downs, 280 for a month....for 24...that is insane,,,you pay double the blue book..but it would get ya a harley....high mileage,,68000
Originally Posted by ronss
i have credit cards now..bad interest....about $3000 worth....the bikes i like are about 8000, used.
You didn't learn any lesson from your bankruptcy.

Sell the Honda and payoff the credit cards.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
You got into a bankruptcy situation from making bad financial decisions. Instead of repeating the pattern with a high interest loan, be smart and save some cash.
Some people can't be saved. As soon as they have a few extra bucks or some credit, it burns a hole in their pocket and they have to go spend it. You can't help them and they will always be in trouble financially

Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 AM
b3dd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To each his own... I personally feel it's financially irresponsible to have total monthly bills costing more than 50% of the household income and less than 6 months worth of bill money saved up while looking to spend on toys... but the OP's question seemed directed more at getting financed, not wether it was wise to do so.

Last edited by b3dd; 04-08-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Pay off the credit cards. That'll give you a lot of breathing room. Then, save up enough to buy a used bike with cash, but only offer 50 percent down. Every Harley dealer I went to was willing to negotiate with Harley's credit service for me when I went in with half down (note, I had good credit, but very little credit history). Dealers for any other brand I talked to didn't even consider it, but Harley did. Then, with the extra cash you have saved up, pay double the minimum payment each month. The interest rate will suck, but eating it will pad your credit. Just don't dig yourself another hole.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by b3dd
..... but the OP's question seemed directed more at getting financed, not wether it was wise to do so.
Typically I would agree and just answer the question. But, I'm not sure where to find a loan shark, or the motorcycle loan equivalent. And in this case, it would be like directing a crack addict to a dealer.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Recent bankruptcy, willing to take on a new loan at a really bad rate just because you want a bike?

Dude you are looking to get right back in to the same situation.

You don't need a bike. Work, save your money until you have a few months of savings in case your job go **** up. You should have 6 months total living expenses taken care of if not forget the bike.

A bike is great but securing your financial future, taking care of your obligations is priority.

But I bet you go and get a bike and in a year you'll be losing sleep and miserable. this time your credit will be so bad no one except a low rent company will hire you. credit checks are more and more common place for employment.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 PM
bspurr13
Advanced

Forget all the financial lectures... If you liveyour life right, your very last check to the funeral home should bounce.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 AM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bspurr13
Forget all the financial lectures... If you liveyour life right, your very last check to the funeral home should bounce.
I hear that same stupid line all the time. What a legacy to leave for your kids. My last cheque bounced? I hope you give your kids better advice than that.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 AM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Markymannn
Some people can't be saved. As soon as they have a few extra bucks or some credit, it burns a hole in their pocket and they have to go spend it. You can't help them and they will always be in trouble financially
This is precisely why lenders don't want to lend to prior bankruptcies. They know that the odds they repeat the exact same behaviour are exceptionally high.

Quick Reply: financing-bad credit