General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So educate an old knuckle dragger ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,833 Likes on 17,453 Posts
Talking So educate an old knuckle dragger ....

First a lot have known me in here a while and for those who don't I'm an old school guy my thing are the shovelheads I haven't warmed up to Evo's yet

I know there's an A and a B model twinkie engine and at least 6 major engine redesigns in their short life but I'm seeing all kinda hype & people carrying on about CVO's , here's a chance to teach an old dog something what's the hype all about and the big differences if any ? Honest question , not poking fun but you guys are losing me ( again )

Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Don't worry Twisty, you're not alone. Guess I'm a bit old school too!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Im waiting for the twinky to have 6 or 7 more advancements so it will be as good as an evo.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't even attempt to understand and reason with others preferences. I do what I like to do with what I like to do it with. If in the time that I am around a person with preferences contrary to mine, I begin to understand theirs, then thats educational to me. If I don't then I move on and forget about it. To each their own. Ride and enjoy. Life's for a short while and I'm just passin' thru.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Yeah I consider myself progressive with my 92 Evo my first ever motor older than a troublehead.

From what I can understand they are better at getting fuel and air in to the cylinder compressing it, igniting it, and dumping it. But with that comes complicated cam chests, valve configurations, and black magic that will turn you in to a goat if you don't do it properly.

The thing is with some of them you get more cu inches but it doesn't seem like you get a large return in HP/TQ for that investment.

1400 or so cubic inches is treading on Honda/Toyota car engine size you'd think they'd be able to coax 300 HP out of an HD motor.

And I imagine 300 HP on a street HD would be as much fun as it sounds.

When folks did those burn out competitions it would actually push the world in to a backwards rotation making all of us younger and therefore wiser since we'd keep our same brains.

I am thinking that would be one helluvah slogan and marketing campaign for HD MoCo.

Buy a Harley- make yourself younger and wiser or potentially save the world from destruction by reversing time enough to stop WW3.

Hell with a new powerful Harley you could erase those unpleasant mistake we all make when we wake up with someone that is 'less than attractive'

HD- "the motorcycle that can get rid of the memory of the ugly ones"

IT could keep you from getting arrested too... Turn the world back enough so that you don't show up at a certain place so they can arrest you.

HD- we make it impossible to be arrested

No more bad news- WTF do you mean you are pregnant? or WTF do mean I am pregnant?

HD- The MoCo that can stop unwanted pregnancies

I mean I think that is what could happen. Superman did something similar.

I may be a bit off topic now. I am going to stop myself now, and sit over there ------->

Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, as a geezer myself I'm old school about things. While I do have a 96 TC now I sit here in wonderment at some of these posts. I guess if you have an extra $35,000 for a CVO, that's cool. But I wonder about all these guys that buy the Harleys and all the tee shirts, shot glasses, rings and things to prove that they are, what?

I offended someone a couple of weeks ago because he bought an enclosed trailer to tow his bike 190 miles to "bike week". WTF? I admit, I just don't get it. And all the excuses of why they can't ride. Like I said I'm a geezer, I walked away from two heart attacks, have arthritis in both wrists and sometimes have to brace the throttle hand. I will ride to both Americade and Sturgis this year. Does that make me a hardcore biker? No. It makes me a happy rider.

Bottom line, no matter what brand or cost of motor, you're either a rider, or you're not. There are a lot of the not's on this forum.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To each his own, everyone is different, lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Knucky
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Trying to understand the question... do you want someone to explain the differences between a shovelhead and modern twin cam engine? Or are you asking someone to explain to you why some people are buying CVO models?

Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Interesting read - did not know the TC was intended to be released in 1997. Thankfully it was delayed, resulting in about a half million extra evos out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-...win_Cam_engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_CVO

Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

From what I know of, the difference between a 96" and 103" is the bore size. The 96" has a 3.75 bore and the 103 has 3.875 bore. Both motors have the same stroke - 4.375. All other features between the 96 and 103 are the same.

For the CVO bikes that come with a 110. The 110 is a 4.00" bore/4.375" stroke motor - but has different heads and different cams as compared to the 96" and 103" motor.

Quick Reply: So educate an old knuckle dragger ....