General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So educate an old knuckle dragger ....

Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Poser since73
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
T, we have one Shovel, one Evo, and a Twinkie. From personal observation:
Shovels had issues, but were a solid base. Any decent ones still on the road have had them worked out in the back of the garage by the owner himself.
Evos were an almost bulletproof improvement, apart from the base gaskets and crappy cam bearing. Again...most have been corrected, and was still easy to do by the DIY guys. The electronic ignition actually worked, so you didn't have to worry about it failing and not be able to work on it yourself.
Twinkies were supposed to be an improvement over the EVO, but have been reincarnated several times, due to (still?...) crappy cam bearings and the resultant cam tensioner wear, scissoring cranks, compensator issues, electronic issues (up to and including poorly thought out security "fobs"), and an extra gear that is largely ineffective both in power and economy. Additionally, the fuel injection has "decel pop" that we're supposed to think is normal, and throttle-by-wire that lags. And all these "improvements" are not DIY friendly, forcing most people to return to the dealer and drink more expensive Kool-Aid in the form of "Dyno-tuning" and re-mapping. This is not stuff in the average tool box at home. The control over your own mechanical destiny is being taken away. The new tool kit is an app in a cell phone and a flatbed truck. You're f'kdd now.

In other words...A twinkie is a wannabe Goldwing. Except for the power and reliabilty part.

Very well said. I do ride a twinkie, in IMO the last good one made. 06 88 cu in. Better motors and can be rebuilt. Not like the 07 and newer bottom ends etc. Easy to work on but yet to much electronic stuff than can go south.
If you can work on a shovelhead, and know a little bit about computers, there is a lots of ways to find out what the problem is with newer bikes. This forum is a very good source to find out whats going on with the electronics while not working properly. You Tube have a lots of good repair videos as well. I have owned several Panheads, Shovelheads, Evos, and always rebuilt pretty much everything myself. I have to admit that life is a lot easier with the newer bike. But not perfect in any way. But it comes with a hefty price tag.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd like to know what a twinkie is. I've seen others use that term as well.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Knucky
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I'd like to know what a twinkie is. I've seen others use that term as well.
Twin cam = twinkie

Old 04-12-2013, 01:15 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Twinkie means mo money to proformance.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The CVO is just a pimped factory ride. I rode a floor model street Glide with the 110 motor,good power,paint job was more in line with a 2 dollar *****'s taste. A quarter million miles on shovels never convinced me to rave about 'em. Just another step in the "evolution" ( pardon the pun). Twin Cams that have been goosed with cams and breathing in and out improvements,are head and shoulders above the older models. So you need some electronics to analize 'em. Ain't no thang. Got a Road King,Softail Deluxe,and the OL's 1200 custom,all '11 and newer. Great bikes,good ride,good power,comfortable on long hauls,and no vibration like the old iron. Gimme the new stuff all day long.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:57 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

why do you do this man
I haven't paid attention since 2000

damn, nobody said there'd be a test, fuggg

Old 04-12-2013, 03:15 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sucherman
Damn, and I thought I was depressed before.
LMAO!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Big Daddy 7042
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my CVO because I did like the paint and rims, and with a couple of "bolt on" mods had as much power as my 03 modded out 88" motor. The problem with my 03 was that with all the mods it wasn't as reliable and I couldn't take my long rides. This way I walked out with a bike that was ready to go with the power I wanted without going to the internals. So I have power and reliability. The rims are cool and the paint is different and does catch a few eyes, my big thing is that I have my power and it's reliable. That's why I bought mine.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A CVO is just another bike loaded with high dollar factory chrome, paint and some engine mods...

Haven't seen one yet that you couldn't build yourself to run better for a LOT less $$, and minus the gaudy paint & bling.

Just sayin...

Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Basically, you are paying for what the Moco's idea of a customed out, modded out bike should be..IOW, what most people do to their bikes over time. The Co has done it for you, and there really isn't one other thing you can add.

I would prefer to do it myself, but a CVO is the way to GO (wow; what poetry!) if you want custom right away & don't wanna spend the time...just another sign of our "instant gratification" society.

Although, I rode the CVO RoadKing at bike week & gotta say I was impressed to say the least. That's my "If I ever win the lottery" bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So educate an old knuckle dragger ....