General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good full face Snell helmet for highway riding... Help me pick.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Rasconzo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good full face Snell helmet for highway riding... Help me pick.

I normally ride around town in a 3/4 open face Daytona helmet, which I love. But I am looking to do a lot more highway riding and want to road trip in the fall to my first big rally. I would feel more comfortable with a full face helmet and I am trying to decide on which helmet to get. I want something Snell rated to insure I am getting the best protection.

Right now I am looking at these two, but I am open to suggestions and advice. The Bell Vortex and the Shoei Qwest. I like the price of the Bell but I know Shoei is a good brand too.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shoei is the best in my opinion. The Qwest is an excellent helmet.

I wear an rf1100 and I love it.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM
CB024
Road Master

I just bought both my wife and daughter Shoei Qwest helmets this past weekend. They tried on every helmet in the shop and both picked the Qwest. They both like how comfortable it is and I like that their heads are protected when they ride with me.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Helmet

Originally Posted by CB024
I just bought both my wife and daughter Shoei Qwest helmets this past weekend. They tried on every helmet in the shop and both picked the Qwest. They both like how comfortable it is and I like that their heads are protected when they ride with me.
Fit is everything and it seems each manufacture has a little different idea as to what a
human head shape is. An ill fitting helmet can really ruin your riding day. imho.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:15 AM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
Fit is everything and it seems each manufacture has a little different idea as to what a
human head shape is. An ill fitting helmet can really ruin your riding day. imho.
Yeah its funny you say that. My wife was pitching a fit because I spent so much on my daughters Qwest on Friday. So Sunday I take my wife down to the store and told her to try on the Qwest first before she tried on the other helmets. She did and at the end of the visit we walked out with a Qwest for her. I told her the same thing you just said. If a helmet doesn't fit right you either wont wear it or be miserable when you do.

We went for a ride right after buying it and when we got home she said she loved it.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Rasconzo
Tourer

Originally Posted by CB024
Yeah its funny you say that. My wife was pitching a fit because I spent so much on my daughters Qwest on Friday. So Sunday I take my wife down to the store and told her to try on the Qwest first before she tried on the other helmets. She did and at the end of the visit we walked out with a Qwest for her. I told her the same thing you just said. If a helmet doesn't fit right you either wont wear it or be miserable when you do.

We went for a ride right after buying it and when we got home she said she loved it.
This is good to hear. I was leaning more toward the Bell because of the price, but I wouldn't mind spending a little more for a more comfortable helmet. I just dont want to spend $600 for one.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 AM
italian biker
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen street legal Bell helmets at Walmart going for roughly $50.00, but I don't remember if I ever saw that model. I'm not saying I know anything about, nor have I done any research on Bell's helmets, but my opinion is that if Walmart is selling a manufacturer's helmet, then I would say they are on the low end of the quality range. Meaning, just passing the minimmum of standards, comfort will leave alot to be desired, etc.....
BTW, I have been happy with Nolan helmets over several years, comfort and fit wise.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 620 Likes on 386 Posts

Shoei and Arai are the only ones I'd consider.

If you're limited by budget, just look for one that's Snell and DOT approved.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Rasconzo
Tourer

Heard that full face fit different than 3/4. I am XL in a helmet, should I go true to size or a size bigger. Unfortunatly no place around me sells full face so I dont have the option to try it on. Going to order from Rezvilla I believe.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
baimo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rasconzo
Heard that full face fit different than 3/4. I am XL in a helmet, should I go true to size or a size bigger. Unfortunatly no place around me sells full face so I dont have the option to try it on. Going to order from Rezvilla I believe.
They all fit different . I have two shoei's (neotec and j-cruise), jcruise is medium, neotec is a small. Revzilla sent me two helmets and I return them util I found the right fitting 3/4 (j-cruise). No penalty.

BTW I love my bell 500 and it is really comfortable and cool, but when you put on a shoei 3/4 or other better brands you can feel the difference in protection and ventilation. I can wear the j-cruise on a 90 degree day and the ventilation keeps me cool as a spring day. In traffic they are not forgiving.

Quick Reply: Good full face Snell helmet for highway riding... Help me pick.