General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new battery... now or spring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 AM
pmang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new battery... now or spring?

Hi Guys...

I have a 2010 Road King in MA... Just getting ready to put it to bed for the winter. Today, I was going to get an oil change, fill up the tank, add the fuel stabilizer and give it a good wash before putting it away. For the first time ever, the bike wouldn't start (lights came on but the starter just wouln't turn). I rode 3 days ago with no issues at all and it has started every time since I bought it. The last few nights temps have been in the 20's (bike is always in an unheated garage). I put the bike on the battery tender for a few hours and then it started right up. So, I guess the cold is draining my 3.5 year old battery. So I will be getting a new one for sure.

Here's the question.... Do I put it in now when I'm about to put the bike away for the next 3 months (will be on a tender either way) or wait until March?

Any advise and opinions are welcome... thanks!

Old 11-22-2013, 12:36 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,483 Likes on 2,481 Posts

Wait until March. Then your battery will be 4 months newer, and have 4 months more life at it's end.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Spring . . . I'm with Dickey on this. But, what is really important is to pay attention to the date code that is stamped on the battery. Not much value in waiting until March to buy a battery that was made the previous September. All battery manufacturers date stamp their batteries so that they can manage their inventories. The date stamp you want to read is the one in the case, NOT the one that is usually also on the label, and also easier to find . . . Duh! The one on the label will usually be at least 90 days newer than the date stamped in the case. Batteries have more in common with Bread than they do with Wine in as much as age does not improve the quality of the Battery.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:24 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Probably wait, also Ur warranty will be 4 months longer on the other end.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:29 AM
slimburns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with everyone else. Wait until spring.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:48 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,878 Likes on 21,498 Posts

Originally Posted by pmang
Hi Guys...

I have a 2010 Road King in MA...

Here's the question.... Do I put it in now when I'm about to put the bike away for the next 3 months (will be on a tender either way) or wait until March?

It really depends on how adventurous you are and how cold of weather you will ride in and how much between now and then you think you will be riding?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Wait until March. Then your battery will be 4 months newer, and have 4 months more life at it's end.
What Dickey said. Unless you plan on riding any during the winter, then do it now.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I stored my HD the battery would be disconnected and out of it anyway. It only takes a little time to install a battery right. By right I mean with cables and post cleaned with a light grease applied then everything tightened down. I would wait till spring to buy a battery if I stored the bike for winter.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by pmang
...Here's the question.... Do I put it in now when I'm about to put the bike away for the next 3 months (will be on a tender either way) or wait until March?

As suggested above, the age of the "new" battery next spring might be a few to several months old...and I don't know of any retail outlet that keeps their unsold batteries on a "charger" for that long.

If you have a really decent battery maintainer/conditioner/charger (not one of those cheap chargers), I'd suggest getting the new battery now and letting the maintainer do its work over the winter.

Who knows, you might even be able to find a good quality battery at a good price now instead of the spring when many others will be in the market too.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:00 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
hopefully , be sure and check the mfr date ...sometime they sit on shelves
all winter ..

Quick Reply: new battery... now or spring?