General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin' Eagle clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 199 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Screamin' Eagle clutch issues

2002 ROAD KING Classic

Short history.
Installed 103" stroker kit which included a stronger clutch spring.
well used stock clutch is now slipping
Dealer suggested a "Screamin' Eagle" clutch kit to remedy. Part number 37980-10
It fixed slippage but not I can not shift into Neutral with engine running and I am in first or second at a stand still.
Shifts fine to neutral if coasting to a stop and I shift into Neutral before stopping. shifting through the gears seems fine.
Occasionally I feel the bike creeping with clutch pulled in. Clutch adjustment is within specs. Tried several settings. It has been adjusted more than a few times by more than a few people.

The install instructions for the Screamin' Eagle kit said and I quote
Remove the eight friction discs, six spacer discs,damper spring and damper spring seat from the clutch assembly following the instructions in the service manual
It also said to discard the damper spring and seat.

I was talking to a very knowledgeable Indy mech and he said it is a mistake to remove the damper spring and seat and I probably am welding something together.

I assume the new friction plates and plates are slightly thicker than the old stock ones but I am at a loss as to what to do about the problem.
How do I get this Screamin' Eagle clutch kit to work properly?

Should I just order stock plates and friction discs and return the damper spring and seat?
I am also confused about how many friction plates and spacer discs there actually are in a stock clutch. The service manual calls for a thin friction plate and 8 normal friction plates but the parts manual does not list the thin one. The parts manual lists a "kit" which is no longer available

I'm really confused here.
The service manual calls for installing
1. The thin friction plate
2. The damper spacer
3. The damper spring
4. Spacer disc
5. friction disc
repeat steps 4 and five 7 more times.

What's the real skinny here? I would love to have the Screamin' Eagle clutch kit work. If it is not compatible how can I get the proper part numbers for the various components (Spacers, thin friction plate and normal friction plates.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 PM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

It's beyond me why they say "six spacer discs" but they do in all the SCREAMIN’ EAGLE PERFORMANCE CLUTCH KIT Instructions, the mistake once made is now just being repeated.

A stock clutch has 9 Friction Discs and 8 Spacer Discs (often referred to as Steels), Damper Spring and Damper Spring Seat.

The SE Clutch Kits do not use the Damper Spring and Damper Spring Seat, actually they cant as they don't have the Thin/Narrow/Half Friction Disc that a stock clutch has.

The 37932-98 Clutch Disc Kit is still available, it contains 9 friction discs, one of them being the Thin/Narrow/Half Friction Disc.

Personally I prefer to have the friction zone that the Damper Spring and Damper Spring Seat provide so I'd put it back to stock and use a stronger spring or a spring assist device e.g. VPC.

Screamin' Eagle clutch issues-hhrikek.jpg