Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch spring selection help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:06 AM
Sedonastrider
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Clutch spring selection help

Fellow brethren and ladies,

Looking to make the right clutch spring choice and clutch ch plates. The bike info:

2015 Road King

•CABLE CLUTCH
•Dyno tuned
•HD Screamin Eagle tuner
•HD 254E cams
•HD heavy breather
•Thunderheader

The transmission is apart for a spun bearing on the case. Now is the time to decide what to do with the spring and clutch plates

The service writer and I talked and he suggested the HD screamin eagle clutch plates with the screaming eagle clutch spring

I really like the stock clutch pull of the stock spring though. Reading the forum brought up a third option with a trike spring which is in between the two (stock and screamin eagle being the two other choices). So:

STOCK lightest pull spring
TRIKE medium pull spring
SCREAMIN EAGLE heaviest pull apring

I should also mention that my clutch has been slipping for the last year in higher gears when the load is highest or the leverage is highest or however you say that...

The clutch plates are in great shape and no burning on the clutch contact parts. The shop doesn’t even recommend new clutch plates, but I just want to do that while it’s open.

My feeling is to just put a new stock spring in with the mentality that my stock spring has lost some of its rigidity from the beat down I deliver each ride. I have 30,000 very hard miles on it. I do burnouts regularly and continue shifting very hard through the gears often (especially after those burnouts).

For me, the best logic decision is to go with the medium spring (and also what the service writer thinks might suit my needs and preferences of not having a heavier pull SE spring) and the screamin eagle clutch plates.

What do you all think on the situation from you experiences and based on my needs too?!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Sedonastrider; 02-20-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:13 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

I replaced my stock spring with the -98A yellow dot spring and run the stock plates. I run 575 cams. I don’t think your setup warrants an SE spring, just my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
Sedonastrider (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 06:19 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

Have you considered leaving the stock spring in and installing a variable pressure clutch. I have them in two bikes that I’ve done big bores on. A 2012 Ultra with a 107 big bore and a 2006 Ultra with a 98 big bore. No clutch slipping problems with either bike and the clutch pull is the same as stock. Give Fuel Moto a call and talk to them about it.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-208592...%7Cyear%3D2015

Old 02-21-2019, 12:36 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,250 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Even tho the plates look good, replace them with a better friction material. I use Barnett but the SEs are probably better than stock. You can also go to early TC ramps, add an easy boy clutch, then use a SE spring.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:08 PM
CSS899
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

If you like the pull of the stock clutch spring I'd suggest you stay away from the SE spring (which you really don't need anyway). I had the SE clutch plates on mine for awhile and they felt grabby to me. Replaced them with the Barnett 9 plate kevlar ones and an Energy One clutch spring that has approx. 10% more holding power than stock. I am happy with this combo.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:14 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I personally wouldn't use SE anything but would not expect a dealer to reccomend anything else.
Barnett or Energy One both make great kits including springs if you want.
My stock clutch burnt out at 23k and I put an Energy One +1 kevlar set in with their heavy duty spring. Besides the clutch pull being a bit harder i couldn't be happier. Clutch has to be forced to slip now. It will not do it on own.

Sedonastrider (02-22-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I've used the Harley SE Clutch Spring (P/N: 37951-98) in my current 110 build on my 2015 Limited as well as the one (2010 Heritage) before this. Both builds would be considered moderate IMHO. The pull at the lever changed very little. I haven't had any slipping issues with either, but then again, I'm not inclined to engage in the sorts of antics that might cause me a problem.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Sedonastrider
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CSS899
If you like the pull of the stock clutch spring I'd suggest you stay away from the SE spring (which you really don't need anyway). I had the SE clutch plates on mine for awhile and they felt grabby to me. Replaced them with the Barnett 9 plate kevlar ones and an Energy One clutch spring that has approx. 10% more holding power than stock. I am happy with this combo.
Thanks

did you notice any difference in clutch pull ?

Old 02-21-2019, 06:29 PM
Mertoid
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Use the medium spring along with a Burly Lite Clutch kit. It's an inexpensive part that reduces clutch pull greatly.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:21 PM
CSS899
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Sedonastrider

Thanks

did you notice any difference in clutch pull ?
Yes clutch pull was much stiffer. Medium spring with the Burley kit or the AIM VPC would be my suggestion. Quite a lot written about the SE spring if you do a search.

Quick Reply: Clutch spring selection help