General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New requirements for drivers licenses nationwide

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:52 AM
christian0632
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New requirements for drivers licenses nationwide

I think there should be more on drivers license material and exams for motorcycle awareness. Maybe at least 20% of the test questions. It seems to me that many drivers out there really have no clue that I am a vehicle like them and therefore am subject to the same laws as them. Example: I pull up to a four way stop where there are already three other cars there. It never fails that one or more will motion me to go before everyone else. Now I sure do appreciate the offer but what these folks don't understand is their actions put me at risk and is just plain unlawful. I really fear someone will stop in the middle of the road one day just cause I'm riding by and cause a major accident that might involve me.

So here's my proposal: To increase awareness, states now have a multipart exam to include specific motorcycle road rights questions.

Any accident involving a motorcycle where it is the fault of the auto, 8 hour motorcycle awareness and safety class and mandatory $500 fine.

Failure to yield causing any collision with a motorcycle, mandatory $1000 fine.

Failure to yield causing any collsion with a motorcycle that results in a ridder fatality, mandatory jail time.

I don't know how it is where others live but around here if people would just operate their cars in accordance with the law I would have a much safer environment.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:31 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New requirements for drivers licenses nationwide

While I see the need for vehicular negligence penalties to be made far more severe, I do not want ANYTHING at the federal level. These are state issues, and the states that did not address these problems satisfactorily for me would be the ones I avoided.

AFA your list, I am far more harsh. Cell phone users (while driving) would be treated as DUIs, since studies have shown their impairment to be equivalent. And 'accident' causers would also be treated harshly. Mandatory re-education, and graduating penalties for repeat offenders.

Speed does not kill. Dumba**es do.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:32 AM
kwas
Cruiser

Never happen. Reminds me of the mandatory sentencing idea regarding the use of a firearm during a crime. NRA wanted 5 years (no good time) if it was used, displayed orIMPLIED that the bad guy had a firearm.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:46 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The motorcycle stuff on the test is a great idea. All good ideas NY is doing quite a bit to ake drivers aware of motorcycles.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:12 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: kwas

Never happen. Reminds me of the mandatory sentencing idea regarding the use of a firearm during a crime. NRA wanted 5 years (no good time) if it was used, displayed orIMPLIED that the bad guy had a firearm.
Florida did adopt a similar law. 3 years to life for a Firearm crime. So it is not completely outta the question.

I agree that this is a STATE issue. Many good points. Write your legislature. Does no good to just post it here.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Ionvex
Cruiser

Why limit it to just accidents involving autos vs. motorcycles?

Autos vs. autos.
Motorcycle vs. autos.
Motorcycles vs. motorcycles.

All treated equally.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:26 AM
venture33
Road Master

Every vehicle registration renewal notice I get from PA has a one pager RE: Motorcycles. Aimed at drivers to remind them that we exist, how to share the rode, and other MC/cage safety stuff. Don't know if it does any good, but at least an effort is being made.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:33 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

Very cool Venture. I am glad to see that they are at least paying attention to the need for more awareness.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure thatmore rules, laws,awareness programsetc would help, we have enough of them already.If people would respectthe ones we currently have, the roads would be safe. Today I keep hearing thisphrase more and more, "I don't care what other people think of me andwhat I do".I'm sure this, so into themselve's,attitude transfers intoour rules and laws to which is costing some of us our lives.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:54 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

I'm not sure thatmore rules, laws,awareness programsetc would help, we have enough of them already.If people would respectthe ones we currently have, the roads would be safe. Today I keep hearing thisphrase more and more, "I don't care what other people think of me andwhat I do".I'm sure this, so into themselve's,attitude transfers intoour rules and laws to which is costing some of us our lives.
Well stated, geargrinder.

While I agree with the author of this thread's intent in theory, I don't necessarily agree that the practice of instituting even more laws (be they on the federal or state level) is the way to go about same. Frankly, the motor vehicle codes are extremely well stocked with laws accounting for the protection and safety of ALL motorists on the roadways; motorcyclcists included. Further to the point, I don't feel that an emphasis should be placed on any one form of vehicle. In this case, motorcycles. If we are to be viewed in the eyes of both the law and the public as having equal rights and ownershipof the roadways, then the laws should reflect that very same ideology. No byass. Don't get me wrong. I think 'an awareness campaign' is great. I just don't think additional laws are necessarily requisitefor the facilitation ofsame. Unfortunately, no law on the books will ever sucessfully combat and/or address the incompetent, unaware, unattentive, and flat out self-involved motorists out there on the highways and byways. It's up to us - the motorcyclists - to drive on the defensive, assume the worst, hope for the best, and be as prepared as possible each and every time we venture out.

Quick Reply: New requirements for drivers licenses nationwide