General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tool kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 PM
crazy13692001
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tool kit?

Was looking at sears tool kit to carry along on bike. Does anybody make a better kit?

Old 03-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Best tool kit?

http://www.beza.biz/windzone/ Check this out, but you might be able to find it cheaper on E bay

Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 PM
mwdguy
Cruiser

I am just going to go to a local tool shop, and pick up all the tools needed and make my own tool roll.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

yup, I carry a windzone... about twice the tools compared to the HD toolkit, and for about the same price. Its not like you are getting Snap-On quality, but who needs that when you are are the road - hopefully buying something you won't need.

btw - in 10k miles I have never used mine... but I have gotten two friends home

Old 03-20-2007, 08:59 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

In nearly 40 years of riding, I have never broken down where I didn't need parts to get started again. I carry a good towing service card, cell phone, and a credit card with a high limit. I think the days of rebuilding your bike on the side of the road is long gone.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: mwdguy

I am just going to go to a local tool shop, and pick up all the tools needed and make my own tool roll.
Exactly....I went thru and made a list of every tool that I may need and went to a cheap tool store and bought them. I carry about 10lbs of tools in a zippered bank bag. I have used them alot on the road....I've changed plugs on the road, adjusted the clutch, swapped out bad bulbs, adjusted loose this or that...this list goes on and on.

I've also got a HD tool tether in one saddlebag lid with a set of Craftsman wrenches. I carry an emergency belt, also. I have a large adjustable wrench in the bottom of one of the bags that I carry to break loose the axle nuts.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:16 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the cycleset for HD made by snap-on. Price is steep, but I like what they did with the kit. If your not into snap-on, copy down what they put into the kit and hit Sears up.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....e&tool=all

Old 03-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I carry a Windzone kit. It's pretty good, but I have addedto it some.Like was said before, they aren't Snap-On quality or evenCraftsman, but it has saved my butt a couple of times.

On one trip, I had a lifter block come loose and I lost over a quart of oil. I was able to tighten it down enough with the vise grips to get the last 30 miles home.

Another time, I had the ground wire for the starter relay break at the terminal. If I did have any allen wrenches, I couldn't have got the side cover off to see what the problem was. I also had to have a phillips screwdriver and a wrench for the screw that was holding the terminal. I just stripped the wire and wrapped it around the screw and was able to start the bike.

In the fall, a buddy of mine was getting ready to leave the resturant. He started his bike, turned on the light and nothing. He was about to call somebody to come get him. I told him that I had tools and we would take a look at it. I took the seat off, found the loose connection and away he went. He thanked me again tonight ans said because of that, hestarted carrying some tools. He said it had already saved him again. He said he went out to start the bike while out on a ride and it wouldn't do anything. He popped the seat off and found a loose battery cable.

I will always carry a tool kit with me. You can never have enough tools.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:14 AM
bobg1253
Road Captain

I don't have much storage space so I carry a Verizon kit.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:20 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I made my own with pawn shop tools at about .30 on the dollar. There have been a lot of times I have used a tool kit on the road. Fouled plugs, leaking gaskets, burned out bulbs, oil changes, etc. Just cause you need parts to get going again doesn't mean you have to pay 75 or 80 per hour to do the work just because you are on the road.

Regards,

Bill

Quick Reply: Best tool kit?