General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley tour of Oahu.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Coloradohunter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley tour of Oahu.

Heading over there in a few weeks for my sisters wedding. I have reserved a road king for a day and have 24 hours to tour the island on two wheels. Can anyone give me some ideas of what is a must see and what I should avoid? I hear the traffic around Wiakiki and Honolulu is an absolute nightmare so I'm guessing the less time I can spend in the "city", the better.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:52 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was stationed on Oahu from 1980 - 1997 (Submarine Force). I rode Sportsters the whole time as anything bigger was not really needed (it is an island with limited places to go and traffic at times is a real PIA). If you avoid Honolulu and Waikiki during rush hours, it is not bad.

The ride around the island is really nice. Take your time, stop, get pictures. No rush. Being a Haole, might want to avoid the western shore, but...can't say if that is still the case or not.

There are a few people on this forum who are currently living on Oahu who can give you more information (and the latest).

Just don't be in a hurry. Everything runs on Hawaiian Time. Great place! Loved the years I lived there. Miss some things about it (especially the weather). Miss the food!!!!

Old 07-19-2014, 02:37 PM
Daddy-O
Tourer

The Tantalus-Round Top Road loop is nice and not heavily travelled; mountain jungle atmosphere overlooking Waikiki and Diamond Head. You can hit up the Punch Bowl Veterans Cemetery en route; a solemn place with great views of Diamondhead and Waikiki.

I agree about riding around the island. The west side has been cleaned up in the past few years. It is still more "local" but you now see haoles as well as locals at all the beaches up the west side. Unfortunately, the ride up the west side is not a loop which makes it time consuming. Given only 24 hours, time may be better spent elsewhere.

Good guide book: http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/books-apps/oahu-revealed

Last edited by Daddy-O; 07-19-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:17 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

+1 on the traffic in Honolulu and Waikiki. When I checked out the rental rates their day was from opening of the shop to about 6:30 p.m. the same day. Another observation most of the interstates (3) are parking lots. We are considering a return trip in a couple of years.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:15 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I was on vacation in Hawaii in '78 and '79 and the closest I got to a Harley then was going to the Harley dealership and getting a shirt. I never thought about renting a bike...not that they even did that back then.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

North shore ride around the island is a blast. Stop in Haleiwa for Matsumoto shaved ice. Great stuff and world famous. http://matsumotoshaveice.com/
Haleiwa also has some world class art gallery's, and some good local food. Great beaches also.
Leave Waikiki, ride over to the North Shore, then circle back around the island.
Hawaii is the only place I've ridden though a double rainbow. Thought maybe it was just my sunglasses, but all four riders saw the same thing. Won't ever happened again.
Stumbled into a Discovery Channel Biker Build Off ride a few years back while on a quick island visit with Cory and Arlen Ness.
Plenty of places for good food and scenery. Just always remember to respect the locals & avoid mainland chain restaurants at all cost.
Enjoy your time on the island.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:18 AM
insertname
Cruiser

I was stationed there from 95 to 97 @ pearl. Traffic was only a nightmare during "rush hour" and parking lot is close to accurate lol. North shore is beautiful, though I preferred Kailua for some reason. The point about main land chains is 100% spot on - though out side of the tourist trap that is Waikiki they aren't so bad. If you ant to do some shopping and by pass the rat race I always went to Pearlridge mall. Mostly locals / military and was always pretty chill.
Since your in Polynesia why not try some of its fare? I lived in Am. Samoa for a couple years as well and have to say the Polynesian fruits and vegetables from a local source have no comparison to the garbage that shows up in the supermarket.

IMO you shouldn't leave the island with out playing tourist at Pearl, and go see the U.S.S Arizona.

If you can swing it - hop over to Maui as well, Lahaina is beautiful and Mt. Haleakala is pretty sweet. The mountain is high enough to make the environment suitable for cattle ranching.

as for the main subject - stay out of the tourist traps and go see the real island - no better way then on a Harley. try to be out side of the base areas and their respective downtown zones during rush hour and you shouldn't really see the stagnant sort of traffic. Plan well

mind you this is all from some quite dated, and perhaps slightly romanticized memories.

- an aside: Did they ever go through with the H3?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:09 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by insertname
I was stationed there from 95 to 97 @ pearl. Traffic was only a nightmare during "rush hour" and parking lot is close to accurate lol. North shore is beautiful, though I preferred Kailua for some reason. The point about main land chains is 100% spot on - though out side of the tourist trap that is Waikiki they aren't so bad. If you ant to do some shopping and by pass the rat race I always went to Pearlridge mall. Mostly locals / military and was always pretty chill.
Since your in Polynesia why not try some of its fare? I lived in Am. Samoa for a couple years as well and have to say the Polynesian fruits and vegetables from a local source have no comparison to the garbage that shows up in the supermarket.

IMO you shouldn't leave the island with out playing tourist at Pearl, and go see the U.S.S Arizona.

If you can swing it - hop over to Maui as well, Lahaina is beautiful and Mt. Haleakala is pretty sweet. The mountain is high enough to make the environment suitable for cattle ranching.

as for the main subject - stay out of the tourist traps and go see the real island - no better way then on a Harley. try to be out side of the base areas and their respective downtown zones during rush hour and you shouldn't really see the stagnant sort of traffic. Plan well

mind you this is all from some quite dated, and perhaps slightly romanticized memories.

- an aside: Did they ever go through with the H3?
I retired end of '97. H3 just opened. Went back in '03 and they had a causeway to Ford Island. Did a tour as an instructor on Ford Island and had to take the ferry daily.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:12 PM
insertname
Cruiser

Originally Posted by subguy
I retired end of '97. H3 just opened. Went back in '03 and they had a causeway to Ford Island. Did a tour as an instructor on Ford Island and had to take the ferry daily.
far out. When i left they where still arguing about it going across the mountians and that was being fought. I left jan 15.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:44 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You are picking a good time of the year to ride the north shore, as in the winter the traffic from the surfers is crazy! Glad to hear the west shore is more friendly. When you ride up the west shore it dead ends at the north tip. Still beautiful and interesting. The ride up to the north shore to Haliewa (by the way w's are pronounced as v's) is nice and you can go to the north west tip by the old ww2 airfield. They do skydiving and glider rides there. There is a sandwich shop in Haliewa that is called the Kui eina (something like that) that makes the best food. Be prepared on the north shore as you travel clockwise around the island for all the famous beaches amd wiamea bay. That road on the north shore is all two lane and the traffic is heavy in the winter but light in the summer. There is only one resort on the north shore called "turtle bay resort." As you move around to the west side less surfing spots and smaller communities, still two lane traffic. On the west side there is a valley that they filmed Jurrasic Park. The East side of the island has a military community and traffic really starts to pick up. The se side of the island has a beach that is a world famous body board surfing and also the famous Hanama bay that is amazing. The traffic picks up again as you start getting near to Honolulu. There is also the road that goes over the mountain between Honolulu and the military community on the east side that is really beautiful. Be aware that there are times in the day that it seems to rain on the east side. I have driven all this by car as i was bikeless and my only advise is to be prepared to stop a lot and enjoy the scenery! I was warned by the locals about the large amount of mc accidents, so be careful and have fun! The sun is intense and will fry you like bacon on a skillet!

Last edited by FLYER; 07-20-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Harley tour of Oahu.