General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can cause...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What can cause...

your bike to pop out of neutral and into gear on it's own? My RK has been doing this a LOT. This afternoon, it sat there in neutral for about 20 seconds before popping back into gear. It happens a lot when I go to shut it off. Any ideas??? Thanks!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be a few things, mostly all in the transmission. Bent fork, maladjusted shift pawl, worn shift drum bearing, just to name a few...

Knowing year/mileage might be helpful also.

Simple answer is, you cannot know for sure until you open it up. Anything else is just a guess.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Old 07-18-2014, 04:31 PM
AAAC
Tourer

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Could be a few things, mostly all in the transmission. Bent fork, maladjusted shift pawl, worn shift drum bearing, just to name a few...

Knowing year/mileage might be helpful also.

Simple answer is, you cannot know for sure until you open it up. Anything else is just a guess.
It's a '97 with about 15,500 miles but has a fairly new transmission on it. The transmission only has about 2500 miles on it. Actually, pretty much everything on the bike is new. It was a project bike for someone when I bought it about 2000 miles ago.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Ahhhh,,, you just MIGHT call the Place who makes the Tranny instead of asking in here..

A few of the members in here are great on Tranny's,, BUT 99% of us have Never had one Apart...

Old 07-18-2014, 05:00 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Also I just thought if it's an Ultima then its on the cheaper side vs Baker and SE tranny's or even a stock HD ..

Just let us know

Old 07-18-2014, 06:55 PM
AAAC
Tourer

Originally Posted by oct1949
Also I just thought if it's an Ultima then its on the cheaper side vs Baker and SE tranny's or even a stock HD ..

Just let us know

It is an Ultima 6 speed tranny. The 6th gear is completely useless though...unless you are doing over 70 mph on a FLAT hwy with no head wind. I wish it were a Baker.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:21 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Ahhhh,,, you just MIGHT call the Place who makes the Tranny instead of asking in here..

A few of the members in here are great on Tranny's,, BUT 99% of us have Never had one Apart...
I agree.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:10 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AAAC
It's a '97 with about 15,500 miles but has a fairly new transmission on it. The transmission only has about 2500 miles on it. Actually, pretty much everything on the bike is new. It was a project bike for someone when I bought it about 2000 miles ago.
That could possibly add a few more variables to finding a solution!

One reason I went with Baker, they have a five year unlimited mileage warranty on their product. I believe Ultima and Revtech only give one year. You might ask the previous owner if the warranty is still good, but I doubt it would pass from one owner to the next.

Same solution applies. Ya gotta get into it to inspect everything thoroughly. No matter how many guesses you get, you still have to open it up to see if they were correct. Full inspection and proper diagnosis is the only way to go...

These transmissions are only simple gear boxes. Nothing complicated about them at all. Shaft rotates, with gears meshed together to turn another shaft. Forks slide 'dog' gears to engage different ratios, which make one shaft turn faster/slower than the other. As in everything, the first time is the most difficult. Each one gets easier after that, until you become complacent...

I don't know which model you have, but you did mention not much use for 6th gear. Take a look at this manual for their left side drive 6 speed, and learn what you can from it...

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/6spdLSDmanual.pdf

You can also do a search to find others with similar problems as you are having. This can give you some insight on more precise areas to look at. But, ya still gotta open it up to do that...

Last edited by Def Mute; 07-19-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:40 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Def Mute
That could possibly add a few more variables to finding a solution!

One reason I went with Baker, they have a five year unlimited mileage warranty on their product. I believe Ultima and Revtech only give one year. You might ask the previous owner if the warranty is still good, but I doubt it would pass from one owner to the next.

Same solution applies. Ya gotta get into it to inspect everything thoroughly. No matter how many guesses you get, you still have to open it up to see if they were correct. Full inspection and proper diagnosis is the only way to go...

These transmissions are only simple gear boxes. Nothing complicated about them at all. Shaft rotates, with gears meshed together to turn another shaft. Forks slide 'dog' gears to engage different ratios, which make one shaft turn faster/slower than the other. As in everything, the first time is the most difficult. Each one gets easier after that, until you become complacent...

I don't know which model you have, but you did mention not much use for 6th gear. Take a look at this manual for their left side drive 6 speed, and learn what you can from it...

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/6spdLSDmanual.pdf

You can also do a search to find others with similar problems as you are having. This can give you some insight on more precise areas to look at. But, ya still gotta open it up to do that...

Thanks!