General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Seeking maintenance advice

Old 06-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Douwe
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking maintenance advice

Hey there folks, I'm just reaching out to get some general advice on maintenance. A buddy of mine has a Sportster 1200 that he hasn't started for literally over a year. He moved to a different town a few hours away but hasn't taken the bike back with him yet. We got it running, but obviously the gas is bad after all that time, so it wasn't running as smoothly as it could. My buddy isn't exactly a pro when it comes to maintenance and the bike has been pretty neglected in general, so we worked out a deal where I'll keep the bike at my place and keep it maintained until he's ready to take it back. In return, I get to use the bike whenever I feel like it, which will be super convenient in downtown Austin where parking is pretty difficult.
Anyways, I'm just looking for some advice on recommended oil types (brand & weight), decent air filters, common issues to look for, a good online company to order from that has good prices, and maybe where to find owners manual access online if possible. I don't necessarily want top of the line everything, but good price to quality ratio type stuff.
Basically just a run down of essential recommended maintenance.
I'm sure I need to give you guys a little more specific info to answer all my questions adequately, but I'm actually away from home right now, so I'll follow up later with that if/when needed.
My immediate maintenance plans include:
Oil change
Air filter change
Drain fuel tank
Clean carb or injectors (haven't even looked into it enough to see if it's carbed or FI)
Thoroughly clean the whole bike
Check for any loose bolts
Small adjustments and fixes to a couple items that got damaged in a minor crash.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:49 AM
yooperbigdog
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Douwe
Hey there folks, I'm just reaching out to get some general advice on maintenance. A buddy of mine has a Sportster 1200 that he hasn't started for literally over a year. He moved to a different town a few hours away but hasn't taken the bike back with him yet. We got it running, but obviously the gas is bad after all that time, so it wasn't running as smoothly as it could. My buddy isn't exactly a pro when it comes to maintenance and the bike has been pretty neglected in general, so we worked out a deal where I'll keep the bike at my place and keep it maintained until he's ready to take it back. In return, I get to use the bike whenever I feel like it, which will be super convenient in downtown Austin where parking is pretty difficult.
Anyways, I'm just looking for some advice on recommended oil types (brand & weight), decent air filters, common issues to look for, a good online company to order from that has good prices, and maybe where to find owners manual access online if possible. I don't necessarily want top of the line everything, but good price to quality ratio type stuff.
Basically just a run down of essential recommended maintenance.
I'm sure I need to give you guys a little more specific info to answer all my questions adequately, but I'm actually away from home right now, so I'll follow up later with that if/when needed.
My immediate maintenance plans include:
Oil change
Air filter change
Drain fuel tank
Clean carb or injectors (haven't even looked into it enough to see if it's carbed or FI)
Thoroughly clean the whole bike
Check for any loose bolts
Small adjustments and fixes to a couple items that got damaged in a minor crash.
what year and Miles, I'd do trans fluid (1qt) and primary fluid (1qt)-been sitting long time (check tires good), alway's scary using someone else's bike--if something breaks or there's a mech prob are you ready to spend a bunch on fixing someone else's bike ?? ain't nothing cheap on a H.D.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:06 AM
Chriswalden88
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Online owners manual directly from HD along with lots of other useful documents including a full blown illustrated parts catalog can be found here:

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/index

Just click on Independent operators and setup an account. It's completely free and super helpful. The owners manual will tell you all you need to know about maintenance schedule.
I agree with yooperbigdog, primary and tranny should diffidently get an oil change. I would add to that to check your primary chain tension and belt tension while your at it.
I also agree with yooperbigdog about riding someone else's bike, especially an HD. EXPENSIVE when something goes wrong. As for parts, quality parts can be found on J&P Cycles, DennisKirk.com and I buy alot of my gaskets right off of Amazon from a company called James Gaskets. Quality gaskets for a great price. Used those three resources for years.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

You can see a parts breakdown for 'your' bike on-line here, which can be useful at times, also gives you the correct part number and description. You can get a factory service manual at your local dealer, but be aware that on-line downloads of them are illegal, as they break copywrite laws. The book will give you service schedules, oil quantities, torque data for fasteners and a whole lot more.

Last edited by grbrown; 06-13-2017 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
yooperbigdog (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 01:19 PM
yooperbigdog
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
You can see a parts breakdown for 'your' bike on-line here, which can be useful at times, also gives you the correct part number and description. You can get a factory service manual at your local dealer, but be aware that on-line downloads of them are illegal, as they break copywrite laws. The book will give you service schedules, oil quantities, torque data for fasteners and a whole lot more.
grbrown thank's for the part's site, been looking for a site to find part #'s, THANK's

Old 06-13-2017, 09:30 PM
OkieBill
Club Member

Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

All as noted above. Critical fasteners, i.e. brake calipers, motor mount bolts, seat bolts, etc. Anything that will cause a catastrophic failure if left unchecked. Also brakes and fluid...fresh fluids are a given.
Be safe and see you on the roads.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:05 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperbigdog
what year and Miles, I'd do trans fluid (1qt) and primary fluid (1qt)-been sitting long time (check tires good), alway's scary using someone else's bike--if something breaks or there's a mech prob are you ready to spend a bunch on fixing someone else's bike ?? ain't nothing cheap on a H.D.
The trans and primary share fluid on sportys so the OP will need 1 quart of sporty chaincase oil...

Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

That right there from "dfwhockey17".

Old 06-18-2017, 10:49 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

If it's been sitting a year or longer flush the brake fluid and put in new fork oil. Don't be surprised if you need to put a few hundred in. What's the date code on the tires? Unless you plan on buying the bike from him just bring it to him and let him pay to fix it.

Also what was a minor wreck? What is damaged? Your gonna have some $$ in this bike to get her running.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:42 AM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

you do what you want with someone else's bike and if you can get a season out of her you will be ok.But,ya know whats going to happen?Just about the time you get it road worthy he's going to show up and say"gee i think i'll take my bike now"your looking at some money,time and labor to get it going with possibly very little satisfaction.i know this because the same thing happened to me 35 years ago.my father in law had a 1968 b.s.a. 441 with 3 inches of dust on it.he said he wasn't doing any thing with it.so me being young and stupid dragged it out ,spent money to get her going and low and behold!!!!he decided to sell it.i,m still pissed at that ***hole for doing that.I got some of my money back but thats beside the point.

Last edited by 1340hog; 06-19-2017 at 12:08 PM.