General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

cam crank timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:18 AM
fxhawg85
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cam crank timing

i have a 98 evo 1340 i removed nose cone cover cam came out with it i dont see the crank mark on crank gear like book shows a dot not seeing it i can line mark on crank through timing hole i thought on crank gear should be at 12 oclock not seeing the dot wat else can i do cam says its evo 5

Old 11-08-2017, 09:28 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

post a jpeg of the gear side.
it uses the press on or keyed. the stuff i have does not show enough detail to determine position.
if it is keyed, easy task if pressed, could measure off cam lobe. a whole lot of trouble but if you have a degree wheel and the lay out of valve opening in the cycle can determine position. find a shop with one as a pattern.

The following users liked this post:
fxhawg85 (12-15-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:00 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

I believe that a standard HD cam will have two marks.
One is to allign with the plastic breather gear on the left hand side of the cam compartment. This is a small allignment dot mark on the cam gear, and a small line on the breather gear.
The other mark on the cam gear will be a line. This should allign with a similar line on the crank pinion shaft gear.

Sometimes that line is partially obscured by the large nut holding the pinion gear onto the crank and you have to look closely, This might also be the case if it's a dot allignment mark, but would find it strange if it's completly obscured as the previous installer wouldn't have seen the mark either.

If the cam you have says EV5 and not EVO 5 as you've posted then I think it's an Andrews cam and it'll have two dot marks rather than a dot and a line as on a standard HD cam. So it might be possible that you have a matched cam and pinion gear to alleviate gear mesh noise whilst running.

Don't get to hung up about all my mentions of dots and lines. The basics of it is to allign the cam marks with the breather and the pinion shaft crank gear.

So if you have the marks on the breather and the pinion shaft gear lined up with the cam marks, then that's about it.
Don't worry about looking through the timing hole at the base of the Vee of the cylinders to postion the crank in the correct position. This will automatically happen if you line up the marks on the pinion shaft, breather and the cam.
Just make sure they are perfectly in line.
Remember to turn the engine over slowly by hand after reassembly to confirm all is good.

If it still proves to be a problem then maybe post a picture to explain your issue.

Last edited by j_bee; 11-09-2017 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fxhawg85 (12-15-2017)