General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Stripped screw!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 11:54 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,087 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by JensBobber
Thank you very much for all suggestions n good info how to remove this one. I think I have to buy some tools for this, bikeseason knocking on the door so I can hopefully get it out asap. Ofcourse I'll post a picture when it's all mounted and ready to ride .
Be REAL careful with EZ Outs. They're hard as heck so if you break one in the screw, its a real pain to get out.
I'd suggest taking the head off the screw as others have suggested , first.The using vise grips to grab the nub that remains.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:07 PM
JensBobber
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Be REAL careful with EZ Outs. They're hard as heck so if you break one in the screw, its a real pain to get out.
I'd suggest taking the head off the screw as others have suggested , first.The using vise grips to grab the nub that remains.
Yeah It must be hell to get one of those out. I think I'll find a good way to back it out. Taking the head off seem impossiple, cause I have to back out the whole screw then to get a grip on the head. I know if I can just back the screw out a little bit, then its easier to get the whole screw out. I guess I have to carv some edges on the screw head thats left, with a tool. Then to heat real good and screw it out

Old 03-13-2019, 02:00 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I just bought a set of left handed drill bits for this situation. start small an you might get lucky an a larger one turn it out. if you can warm it up with a heat gun or something in case there's lock tight on it. Being a frame mounted bolt it might have it from the factory.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 PM
JensBobber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I just bought a set of left handed drill bits for this situation. start small an you might get lucky an a larger one turn it out. if you can warm it up with a heat gun or something in case there's lock tight on it. Being a frame mounted bolt it might have it from the factory.
Exactly, I think I have to do that. I used a heatgun on all the other screws, so yes I just have to get a grip on it. Then it should be quite easy to back out

Old 03-13-2019, 02:24 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

Funny thing happened when I bought those "left handed drill bits"....it got them at Harbor Freight an the lady at the check out was looking at them an studying them while I paid...she asked if I was left handed or something? Why are they "left handed". She felt silly when I explained they're designed to turn to the left instead of the standard right LOL.

The following users liked this post:
Bama Lee (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 02:33 PM
JensBobber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by langwilliams
Funny thing happened when I bought those "left handed drill bits"....it got them at Harbor Freight an the lady at the check out was looking at them an studying them while I paid...she asked if I was left handed or something? Why are they "left handed". She felt silly when I explained they're designed to turn to the left instead of the standard right LOL.
LOL well you can't know everything

Uncle Larry (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by JensBobber
Yeah It must be hell to get one of those out. I think I'll find a good way to back it out. Taking the head off seem impossiple, cause I have to back out the whole screw then to get a grip on the head. I know if I can just back the screw out a little bit, then its easier to get the whole screw out. I guess I have to carv some edges on the screw head thats left, with a tool. Then to heat real good and screw it out
Ok let me break this down for you, take a 7/16" drill bit and slowly drill into the hole you made on the head of the bolt, when it cuts through the head that's left will start spinning then you just wiggle the whole thing off the frame. You will have a small stub of the bolt sticking out to get a bite on with the vise grips AFTER you use a small pencil torch or similar to heat it up some and yes you have to heat it because it is loctited and no using a heat gun or blow dryer is not going to work for this.

Isn't hard shouldn't take 10 minutes total time even fumbling with the tools, any other way is just going to beat your *** and probably screw up some paint.

You gotta buy some stuff do it, be far less bullshit than trying to figure it out without tools. Many of us in here are and have been professional mechanics and you've been given time proven sound advice, do yourself a big favor and use some of it.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:21 PM
JensBobber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Ok let me break this down for you, take a 7/16" drill bit and slowly drill into the hole you made on the head of the bolt, when it cuts through the head that's left will start spinning then you just wiggle the whole thing off the frame. You will have a small stub of the bolt sticking out to get a bite on with the vise grips AFTER you use a small pencil torch or similar to heat it up some and yes you have to heat it because it is loctited and no using a heat gun or blow dryer is not going to work for this.
Isn't hard shouldn't take 10 minutes total time even fumbling with the tools, any other way is just going to beat your *** and probably screw up some paint.

You gotta buy some stuff do it, be far less bullshit than trying to figure it out without tools. Many of us in here are and have been professional mechanics and you've been given time proven sound advice, do yourself a big favor and use some of it.

Alrite! Well all the other screws came out quite easy with some heat from th heatgun. So I am planning to buy a set og screw extractors. If I first drill with a 3mm steel-drillbit, then use one of those screw extractors (preferly 3mm) to get it in there and just back it slowly out... with some heating first. That must do the job?

Old 03-13-2019, 07:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

3mm is a bit on the small side for that bolt, don't break it off in there.....

Old 03-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

You can lead a horse to water .........

Bama Lee (03-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Stripped screw!