General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Prevention of monkey butt

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 07:30 AM
Gunny357
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Prevention of monkey butt

Been riding for a whole lot of years and have heard of, tried and observed a number of ways to prevent monkey butt. Bead seats, fur seat covers, silk underwear, monkey butt powder, ventilated seats.
Some work, kinda.

Lets hear some other suggestions or experiences.

I tend to climb in the saddle and ride till I need gas again and in the summer in the south, gives me a case of the red ***.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:40 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,523 Likes on 6,272 Posts

https://www.zeasorb.com/ or Gold Bond Medicated Powder
Compression underwear

Works for me.

The following users liked this post:
Larry the Landlord (06-10-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 07:58 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,471 Likes on 6,386 Posts

You may want to check out Ultimate Seats; https://ultimateseats.ca/harley-davidson-accessories.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:09 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 610 Likes on 329 Posts

I am not going to go as far as saying that our crotch coolers will stop Monkey butt .. It will drop the felt temperature and keep the Boy's a little Happier ..

The following 2 users liked this post by Captain Itch:
Hey Man (06-04-2021), Rooster56 (06-04-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 08:23 AM
Ingramite
Road Master
Received 1,269 Likes on 545 Posts
Default Slaves to Fashion

Stop to ponder a guy who works from his saddle every day. All day long, day in and day out.

Ok, what does that working saddle look like?
Look no further than the police Road King to find your answer.

First of all, it's wide for great support. Next it's mounted way up high. Your hips and rear end are up above your knees when your feet are up on the floorboards. This is the key, proper blood flow.

When your hips are lower, like on conventional frame mounted seats, your blood pools in your hind end.

If you continue to deal with just the symptoms of "monkey butt" it will reoccur every time you ride for any length of time.

Take a look at HD touring bikes of the 70's and earlier. They all had spring or pogo mounted seats that sat very high by today's standards. There was a very good reason for that.

Along came the chopper and bobber fads and our seats got slammed down onto the frame rails for looks and looks alone.

I cringe when I hear guys say that they want to "sit down into the bike and not on it". Then they go into a rapid cycle of changing one brand of seat for another, looking for long distance comfort. When you pay just short of a grand for a new seat your brain wants to justify the purchase. The problem is that your rear end just won't buy in. You can't do the same thing over and over expecting different results. One seat laying down on the frame rails will give the same results as the old seat laying down on the frame rails.

Beads and pelts might help you deal with the symptoms monkey butt, they won't cure the root cause.

Trust me, nobody likes to hear this. I know that. Those police seats are not made to be pretty. Same thing with those old buddy seats.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ingramite:
Low budget Dan (06-02-2021), Silent Glider (06-15-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 08:32 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,559 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Ingramite
I cringe when I hear guys say that they want to "sit down into the bike and not on it". Then they go into a rapid cycle of changing one brand of seat for another, looking for long distance comfort. When you pay just short of a grand for a new seat your brain wants to justify the purchase.
I don't disagree, however another perspective. I sit on my Duc Multi and sit in my Heritage. Never had a need to change either OEM seat. I'm probably lucky that I don't know what real comfort feels like.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Ingramite
Road Master
Received 1,269 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
I don't disagree, however another perspective. I sit on my Duc Multi and sit in my Heritage. Never had a need to change either OEM seat. I'm probably lucky that I don't know what real comfort feels like.
Yep.
I learned about this from a New Orleans motorcycle officer.

I watched them parade up and down the street during Mardi Gras one year. They had a staging area right by where we set up curbside. So I got up my courage up to ask to sit on one of their bikes for a photo op....whoa!

I was riding a RK myself at the time. So I was really doing homework. They were very gracious and let me sit on one. Then explained everything about the geometry and why it worked so well.

I got a police seat set up from ebay and verified everything myself. It's the answer. Mud fence ugly but it works.

Those police solo seats were also mounted with an air bladder. Like riding on a cloud he explained.

Now, if you're on a bike with mid set foot pegs your knees are going to be lower than your hips. Some of what I'm laying down here won't apply.

I'm riding a softail now with a seat laying on the frame rails. I know how to get it sorted out but haven't got around to it yet. I am a lot older now so I'm pretty much just riding short distance now.

Last edited by Ingramite; 06-02-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:06 AM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

50/50 mix of Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder and Gold Bond Medicated Powder (Green) works for me.

Put it liberally on your backside, nether regions, and boys.

Re-apply mid day.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:18 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,095 Likes on 1,693 Posts

With the Alaska Skeepskin, I've never had an issue.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:29 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,134 Likes on 7,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
https://www.zeasorb.com/ or Gold Bond Medicated Powder
Compression underwear

Works for me.
^^^ This and a sheepskin pad. https://alaskaleather.com/collection...pskin-buttpads

Gold Bond powder works well along with Duluth Armachillo Cooling Boxer Briefs. https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-a...riefsrmachillo Cooling Boxer Briefs

Quick Reply: Prevention of monkey butt