General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Exquisite helmet visors cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 12:28 PM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4,897 Likes on 2,129 Posts
Question Exquisite helmet visors cleaning

My previous helmets were simple and they had just a visor, that I used to wash in running water and wipe with paper towels and that's it.

Now I am reading the instruction of my latest Schuberth and things look more complicated, considering higher price and quality of main visor, presence of sun visor and a pinlock.

OUTER SURFACE OF THE FACE SHIELD
Use a soft cloth and a mild soap solution (< 20 °C) to remove dirt from the outside of the face shield. To dry the face shield, use a lint-free cloth and apply gentle pressure.
Looks clear, however I washed it with somewhat hotter water at least once. I hope it will survive. Interesting, but do they suggest to wash outer side only? And not to soak?

ANTI-FOG LENS
The inside surface of the face shield must only be cleaned with a soft cloth, which may be slightly dampened if required (we recommend a mocrofibre cloth). Do not use any cleaning agents.
This is the most interesting - this anti-fog water-absorbing pinlock. I washed it and it took time to dry (it is blurry and distorted until dries).
Instruction says just to wipe, but can it be scratched easily during wiping? I guess it is soft and not that sturdy as main visor.

SUN VISOR

The sun visor should only be cleaned with a soft and, if necessary, slightly damp cloth (we recommend a microfibre cloth). Do not use any cleaning agents.
Again - just wipe and no soap?

I feel like 3/4 helmet with noname goggles provides more pease of mind now

Old 11-06-2021, 07:54 PM
Crispy
Tourer
Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

My wife has a C3 Pro and hasn't followed any of those instructions. So far, so good. I use Plexus for cleaning our shields and fairings, I love that stuff.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:13 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,898 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Don't use Paper towels on anything you're trying to clean that isn't glass.
I like the idea of letting the surface soak under a wet towel to soften dried contamination rather than "scrubbing it off" while it's still dry and hard.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:36 AM
sparkalot
Road Warrior
Received 773 Likes on 346 Posts

Arai helmet here. I keep it stored in a helmet bag between rides, and clean the visors with Novus #1 and a soft microfiber towel

Old 11-07-2021, 04:43 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,223 Likes on 4,773 Posts

Bug Slide.
https://www.bugslide.com/
Nuff said.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4,897 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Cleaned all the stuff (except sun visor) with simply soapy water. But there are some details.

Main visor is still covered with some tiny grey dots (maybe some resin from trees mixed with dust). I usually wash it away from my prescription glasses with soap and hot water - easily. Just with soap in warm water I washed it away from the noname goggles. Apparently, this crap loves the Schuberth visor Strong rubbing with fiber cloth allows to remove it (tried near the edge), but I would refrain from this practice, because any random grain of dust would ruin the visor.

Pinlock. Generally washed well, but it is very soft and scratch-prone. Tried to swipe away some bit of bug guts, and it still there, but now pinlock is scratched around, even though I used a fiber cloth and a special cloth for glasses. I hope I will not miss it much: I removed it earlier being annoyed with narrower field of view and additional layer of slight distortions and reflections (annoys at night especially), though it was helpful in winter foggy nights.