General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Cam problem! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 11:53 PM
Devin333
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam problem! HELP!!!

<DIV><FONT size=2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I just installed a newandrews ev27 on my 97 heritage evo. I only have 4K miles on the bike. The bike makes a high pitch whining sound as I rev it up and the warmer it gets. It sounds like an automobilesupercharger air flow system (high whining sound). Do I have a problem with my pinion gear lining up with my new cam (backlash)? I thought the ev27 was a simple bolt in project which did not require pinion modifications. The clearance of the cam is .010 which falls within specs. It runs with plenty of power, but I dont know what to do next. HELP!!!</FONT></DIV>

Old 04-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Gearhead99
6th Gear

Before you condem the cam. Are you sure that is where the noise is coming from?? Sure it isn't the primary chain, maybe too tight??</P>

Did it make any noise when you first installed the cam?? Have you listened to a similar bike to see if maybe the noise is a normal noise??</P>

That cam install is a straight forward install. No gimmicks or such.</P>

Get a long screw driver or a piece of 3/4" water hose. Cup your hand around one end and hold it to your ear as you probe around the engine trying to pin point the noise. Like a doctors stephiscope [spelling??].</P>

Good luck, lets hear how you made out.</P>

Dave</P>

Old 04-27-2003, 10:13 PM
Devin333
Stage III

No, the bike sounded good until it got a little warm. I have never heard anything like it from a harley. I researched my problem a little more by dusting off my old manual. I think I have the prblem narrowed down to "cam gear whine". I think the cam gear is a little too large for my pinion gear and has no backlash. As it warms up, it gets worse. </P>

I was informed that I could put my old OEM gear on the ev 27 lobe to solve this problem. But where and who can do this? Can I change out my pinion gear, or is that a mess to deal with?</P>

I wonder what Andrews factory return policy is? </P>

Old 04-27-2003, 11:32 PM
Gearhead99
6th Gear

I would check with Andrews before you do any dissassemble.</P>

WWW.Andrews-products.com</P>

Maybe they have heard of this noise before. </P>

I'm surprised it is that loud.</P>

Old 04-28-2003, 12:32 AM
Devin333
Stage III

I checked out their web site. I found info. in their catalog PDF file expaining this problem (weird place to put inof on cam noise). It appears to be common when the cam gear pitch is larger than the stock.</P>

I already have it dissassembled. Im going to the hrley shop tomorrow to find out if it is easier to change the cam gear (oem to the ev) or to change the pinion gear. any experience with either?</P>