General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

General Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Striker
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Info

Ok, my wife and I are making the plunge and looking forward to our first Harley. I am not an experienced biker and am taking a riders course. Thinking about a Sportster 1200C. Question is, is this enough for a passenger ride? What are the pro and cons on this bike? What are the most common mechanical problems you run into with Harleys? Do most dealers stick to MSRP? I would appreciate any info you pro's may have. Oh, new or used...,whats the best way to go with a first time bike?
Steven

Old 10-16-2004, 09:57 PM
BClem
Banned
Default RE: General Info

The new Sportsters are big. The rear tire for example, is the same as the Dyna's and some other big twins. The engines are rubber mounted for considerably less vibration. The Sportster will double fine but not (of course) as well as the 88. Take some rides at a dealership, you can can be your own judge - and quickly.

You may want to shop around, even in different states for a good buy on a new HD. Some areas are not 'growing' in the bike area and will give better prices. But one thing to keep in mind; the local dealer with whom you will deal for your add-ons will have a different attitude about you making your bike purchase elsewhere (sorry to say but I am the case in point - I went to another dealer over the local one - it's a bit chilly there sometimes).

I would go for a used big twin to double with as a first machine.

BClem

Old 10-18-2004, 01:37 PM
4boltsiron
Tourer

Have you done much riding at all?1200 sporty is plenty big enough for two up riding,allthough the passenger would be more at ease on an FL. Learning to ride on the 1200 is trial by fire the new 1200 has some beef to it for a new rider.If your going to ride solo a lot that sporty is easier to manuver. Be carefull. Keep in touch

Old 10-18-2004, 06:30 PM
BClem
Banned

We're fine. My wife rides a Sportster and loves to two up on my Dyna. The choice is usually hers but I just may discourage us from doubling on her Sportster if she requested it. Striker is making the same decision at present and my input was intended to give him my humble feelings on the matter. The decision is weighed soley and without my reguard.

Again, we're fine,
BClem

Old 10-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's stictly a personal choice. Ask yourself what kind of riding are you going to do?
Local rides/short trips/Long hauls?
There's a flavor for every taste!

I've rode a FLH for 8 yrs, and recently got a 1978 XL to puddle jump around on.
And it's small, fast and a hellova lot of fun.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm... I think the bike is definitely enough to double on, but you really should consider getting some miles under your belt before you do. Having a passenger on your bike dramatically changes the handling characteristics of the bike.

The overall quality of Harley Davidson has increased dramatically. They have modernized the production facilities and make a bike equal in quality to the metric or German bikes. They say the new twin cam engine is good for a hundred thousand miles. I'll let you know in 4 or 5 years if that's true...

I've found that most dealers still won't go below MSRP. Most will offer some wiggle room on the "freight and prep" and some of the add on crap. I would also negotiate an in store credit for motor clothes and accessories. Something in the $300 range is common in my parts. They should also offer you a discount on your future accessory purchases. I would try and buy from a dealer that has a very reputable service department with at least a couple of Harley "Master Tech's". The service after the sale is a very important consideration, sometimes even more so than the price of the bike...

Good luck,

Ryan

Old 10-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

There's no substitue for saftey, quality and integrity.

Thanks Ryan, very well stated.

Old 10-19-2004, 06:57 PM
harleybiker
Tourer

Very well said Ryan. I'm dealing with a local HD place and personally with the Co-Owner who seems more inclined on customer satisfaction first and $$ second. Probably not all true but it seems that way and from others who have dealt with this place, they say customer satisfaction is first rate.

hb

Old 10-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

they say customer satisfaction is first rate
That's saying a lot too!

Old 10-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks....

A couple of years from now, the money won't be an issue. The customer service will be all that matters...

Ryan