General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Better Way to Mount GPS

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Raytron99
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Way to Mount GPS

Anyone tried one of these:

http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/...3/Default.aspx

I don't want a handlebar mount, and would rather not drill through my inner fairing if I can avoid it. This looks to be up to the task, I'm just not sure what it has for staying power with the vibration possible rain, etc...

Wonder if anyone has one, and what their experience is.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I've heard of people using the suction mount with success. Personally, If I used one I would also use a safety tether on it in case the suction mount came loose.

I lost my old Garmin Street Pilot when I hit a pot hole filled with rain water. It just popped off, flew past my head, and disintegrated into pieces when it hit the ground. I've used a safety tether ever since.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

if you're running a touring bike with the fuel door top and front of the tank, Kuryakyn has one that mounts securely to the fuel door.

Not sure what GPS you're using but I know damn well I wouldn't trust suction mount for my $700+ Zumo even with the tether mentioned above.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 02-04-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Raytron99
Advanced
Default Tether?

Originally Posted by Deucedog
I've heard of people using the suction mount with success. Personally, If I used one I would also use a safety tether on it in case the suction mount came loose.

I lost my old Garmin Street Pilot when I hit a pot hole filled with rain water. It just popped off, flew past my head, and disintegrated into pieces when it hit the ground. I've used a safety tether ever since.
What type of tether are you talking about? Is it home-made, or do you have a link to it?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Raytron99
Advanced
Default Wiring?

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
if you're running a touring bike with the fuel door top and front of the tank, Kuryakyn has one that mounts securely to the fuel door.

Not sure was GPS you're using but I know damn well I wouldn't trust suction mount for my $700+ Zumo even with the tether mentioned above.
I have seen that, and it looks pretty sharp, my only thought is with the wiring.
Did you hard wire to the battery, and what do you do with the micro USB when your GPS isn't plugged in? Or are you running to the lighter outlet?

My GPS will probably be a car model, and then one of these http://www.rammount.com/EmptyPages/A...8/Default.aspx

Just picked up the scoot, so will try to skimp where I can so I can pull of a stage 1 before spring.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raytron99
What type of tether are you talking about? Is it home-made, or do you have a link to it?
I made my own out of a small rubber cord with rings on each end. I have my GPS mounted on the bars and the tether is short enough that it prevents the unit form hitting the tank if it does come off. I also have one for when I have a camera mounted on the other side.

I have a different model bike but I bought a 'Power Port' from Kuryakin that comes with a dual USB adapter that I plug my camera and GPS into.
It's chrome and mounts on the bars. If you want to, the PP comes with a cig lighter that you can use instead of the USB adapter.
You can see it to the right of the speedo in this picture.

Last edited by Deucedog; 02-04-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I have seen that, and it looks pretty sharp, my only thought is with the wiring.
Did you hard wire to the battery, and what do you do with the micro USB when your GPS isn't plugged in? Or are you running to the lighter outlet?

My GPS will probably be a car model, and then one of these http://www.rammount.com/EmptyPages/A...8/Default.aspx

Just picked up the scoot, so will try to skimp where I can so I can pull of a stage 1 before spring.
I personally don't use it as I think it's ugly and takes your eyes off the road. My Zumo is mounted to the inner fairing right in my line of sight.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

Mine is hardwired via the Power Port, thru a relay and a fuse, to the battery.
If you mean the actual cable from the power to the GPS, it stays with the GPS. Meaning that if I'm not using the GPS there's no cable flopping around in the breeze.

Prior to getting the Power Port I bought an extra cable from Garmin and ran that (relay and fuse) under the tank and to the bars with enough slack to reach the GPS.

Here's an old picture of it, before I had the power port. (UltraNutz: My GPS sits well above my console. I actually use it for speed readout as it's higher and I don't have to look down to see it)

Last edited by Deucedog; 02-04-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:03 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

This is what I use attached to the mirror mount.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:23 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deucedog
Mine is hardwired via the Power Port, thru a relay and a fuse, to the battery.
If you mean the actual cable from the power to the GPS, it stays with the GPS. Meaning that if I'm not using the GPS there's no cable flopping around in the breeze.

Prior to getting the Power Port I bought an extra cable from Garmin and ran that (relay and fuse) under the tank and to the bars with enough slack to reach the GPS.

Here's an old picture of it, before I had the power port. (UltraNutz: My GPS sits well above my console. I actually use it for speed readout as it's higher and I don't have to look down to see it)
Yeah up in your line of sight is always best whether it be handlebar in your case or fairing mounted in my case.

Quick Reply: Better Way to Mount GPS