Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecar Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 10:28 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino1250
That looks great
...... your passenger could get real wet in a hurry w/that fenderless wheel though

Old 05-17-2020, 10:21 PM
Davidsbigfeet
Novice
Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

My new Trans Moto M-102 sidecar on my Crossbones.

My wife doing her part to hold down sidecar on right hand turns.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:44 PM
mercury01
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

There’s a half fender on the back that effectively cuts off the spray. Besides, “What passenger?”

Old 05-27-2020, 08:48 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by mercury01

'17 Softail Slim S with Trans-Moto TM 301 Sidecar

As a former Albertan, I'm sympathetic to the high cost of buying in the States these days! I bought the Trans-Moto and have no regrets. PM if you have any questions.
Gorgeous! Did you buy it in Alberta? Did the dealer set it up? I notice a shock for the 3rd wheel?

Old 05-27-2020, 11:09 PM
mercury01
Cruiser

I originally bought the car from TransMoto for an ‘05 Superglide. After 3 years with it, I had some changes in mind. With a new Slim S in ‘17, I wanted to lower the car to better match the bike and gain on performance; improve its “funkiness” by matching the car’s wheel with the bike - I ordered a second front wheel when I bought the bike and putting on a half fender, exposing most of the wheel; and improve the ride - touring bike gas shock. The installer was Metalmorphosis (Brock Smith) in Kamloops, BC.

I sought to increase the car’s weight (stock, it’s pretty light): new, heavier duty frame; spray in truck liner inside the car; and a full size AGM car battery to replace the motorcycle’s battery. Now the car comes in at about 250lbs and the rig handles beautifully. More funk - handmade aluminum dash with instrumentation (clock, voltmeter and ammeter), internal lighting, Power outlets, switched and unstitched fuse boxes, etc.

it’s what I wanted now - performs and handles great and I use it for the long-distance, traveling I like to do ... Ural, it’s not!

The following 3 users liked this post by mercury01:
DoctorG (05-27-2023), sharkey (01-03-2021), smitty901 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:07 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,617 Likes on 5,177 Posts

Originally Posted by mercury01
I originally bought the car from TransMoto for an ‘05 Superglide. After 3 years with it, I had some changes in mind. With a new Slim S in ‘17, I wanted to lower the car to better match the bike and gain on performance; improve its “funkiness” by matching the car’s wheel with the bike - I ordered a second front wheel when I bought the bike and putting on a half fender, exposing most of the wheel; and improve the ride - touring bike gas shock. The installer was Metalmorphosis (Brock Smith) in Kamloops, BC.

I sought to increase the car’s weight (stock, it’s pretty light): new, heavier duty frame; spray in truck liner inside the car; and a full size AGM car battery to replace the motorcycle’s battery. Now the car comes in at about 250lbs and the rig handles beautifully. More funk - handmade aluminum dash with instrumentation (clock, voltmeter and ammeter), internal lighting, Power outlets, switched and unstitched fuse boxes, etc.

it’s what I wanted now - performs and handles great and I use it for the long-distance, traveling I like to do ... Ural, it’s not!
You have assembled a fine looking rig. And from the sound of it you have it doing what you want it to do. Each person needs will be different. A big one of me is a car tire on the sidecar and bike rear. Not such a big deal if you ride low miles but if you really use them it adds up.
After having rigs with and without ECC. Unless it was a small light rig I would be without it.
Like your idea I want to mount a small car battery in the sidecar. With heated seat and heated blanket it would be a good idea. When it starts getting cold these new bikes are harder to start.
I am often shocked at the false information about sidecars I hear. Like the one you can't keep up with traffic.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:10 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

? for exocelis, mercury01 & davidsbigfeet

Did any of you have to install a set of raked trees. My 65 utilizes adjustable trees.

I think when Liberty Sidecras was in business they sold raked trees for both springer front ends and for the standard forked models

Old 05-28-2020, 11:31 PM
Davidsbigfeet
Novice
Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
? for exocelis, mercury01 & davidsbigfeet

Did any of you have to install a set of raked trees. My 65 utilizes adjustable trees.

I think when Liberty Sidecras was in business they sold raked trees for both springer front ends and for the standard forked models
I have not on my Crossbones. It is an upper body workout when making slow speed lefts and rights like at 4-way stops. And there is a little slow speed wobble that demands I hold onto handlebars with both hands. Other than that, I am not seeing enough need to go that route. Of course I'm not traveleing the great north west like exocelis does. Just around town for 30 minute cruises.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:08 PM
mercury01
Cruiser

Love what you’ve done. The Crossbones has the right look, for sure. As for the steering, there’s an old posting in the Adventure Rider forum, “Reducing Trail on a Harley Springer Front End” that addresses the issue with the Crossbones. Might be a workable solution - involves altering the springer‘s links.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:13 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,617 Likes on 5,177 Posts

Get the word out DMC will be offering some lower cost but good sidecars. Prebuilt other than their normal order first system. They will no lower cost but not Cheap sidecars.

Quick Reply: Sidecar Purchase