Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

New TriGlide Rear Brake Squeal

Old 06-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TriGlide Rear Brake Squeal

Does yours squeak? Got out with the nice weather today and put some more miles on her. Shes developed a brake squeak in the rear. Going out joy ridin again tommorow and see if it goes away on its own. Nothin real annoying ....but there...know what I mean?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:26 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Tri Glides rear brakes squeak or squeal. I attribute it to brake dust. Have not had any problems with the parking brake or the Trike stopping. There is not much stopping power using the rear brakes by them selfs but thats normal. If I blow the dust off the rear rotors and pads with compressed air they don't squeak for a short time. My 06 1200C also has a rear brake squeak. Oh all most forgot CONGRATS on the new Tri Glide.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Carlo regarding the 'brake dust and/or a pebble' for the squeal...

Congrats on the new TriGlide too - nice pictures...

Question: What part of the country are you from...?

Old 06-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Glyder
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cubbear42
I agree with Carlo regarding the 'brake dust and/or a pebble' for the squeal...

Congrats on the new TriGlide too - nice pictures...

Question: What part of the country are you from...?
Toms River,NJ

About 40 miles from NYC,Philly and Atlantic City on the Jersey Shore.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 AM
mazzurco
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had problems with squeaky brakes on 06 Streetglide when it was new. Went round & round with the service dept they claimed that was normal. I bought Lynndall pads installed them because they guarantee them not to squeak and that don't squeak. They make dam good equipment.

Congrats on the Trike

Old 06-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I keep seeing posts on various forums discussing rear brake issues on trikes, in particular the TG. I have read a couple that indicate weak rear brake operation is "normal" on a trike. I think strong rear braking power is a must on a heavy trike. If you have to stop this thing in a hurry, the front brake alone will not get the job done. I have owned trikes with both drum and disc rear brakes and all of them stop very well and I can slide the rear tires at any speed on any surface. I realize that ABS braking has an effect on the operation of the brakes and you cannot lock them up like you can on a non-ABS system, but they should stop with authority. I could be all-wet and I admit that I have not ridden a trike with ABS, but I still think powerful rear braking is a must on a trike.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Tri Glide non ABS. I Agree I should be able to lock up the rear and slide the rear if I had to in an avoidence manuver but they won't lock up ,the rear brakes that is. I wish they came with larger roters and calapers.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New TriGlide Rear Brake Squeal

I was unsure if they had ABS, but you (carlo) have cleared that up. Even folks that have the trike conversions with the one rotor-and-disc centered on the driven sprocket at the differential brag about how good their brakes are. I am pretty sure HD went from Brembo to Hayes, but I doubt if that had much to do with it. Both those companies have a long history and I can't imagine just swapping to Hayes had a lot to do with it. Maybe it's more of a pad issue, as someone has already figured out. I have read where one owner went to a different pad manufacturer and help his situation.

I converted my Lehman kit from drum to disc myself. I just figured out what I needed and put my own system together. Hot Rodders do it all the time, so it was no great challenge. Mine will lock both rear wheels and slide straight to a complete stop on any road surface.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:09 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vt150 and carlo,

I agree with you both…common wisdom should dictate that: ‘the bigger the vehicle, the bigger the braking system”!

My two wheelers had more stopping power than my Tri-Glide and with the two wheeler you have the added advantage of a more agile, maneuverable vehicle in which to execute collision avoidance. But apparently the bean counters didn’t see it that way!

Go figure!

Jim

Old 03-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Harleygirl81
Advanced

Where could I find Lynndall pads? I have a 2012 Triglide and I have always had trouble with squeaky brakes and I really hate it, bugs me!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New TriGlide Rear Brake Squeal