Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Enclosed trailers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:03 PM
blackfatty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed trailers

I am looking at different enclosed trailers to haul my bike and other crap in when I move. Don't know much about the brands - is there much of a difference in brands besides heavier axle and wheel options? I'm looking for a 6x12 enclosed w/v-nose. I assume putting a wheel chock and tie-downs is a must.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:04 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a stealth trailer, with tie downs and chocks. Use for hauling atvs though. feather lite,mission,hallmark,us trailer. all good. All depends what you want to spend. I have 14 footer dual axle with brakes.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Car Mate 6x12 single axle. They are an East Coast builder, I bought it when I lived in PA. The features I liked were the seamless one piece aluminum roof with welded aluminum roof truses (as opposed to stamped steel) guaranteed for life to the original owner. If you get a roof vent it's in a welded aluminum frame (as opposed to a stapled wood frame). You will get a 3/4" thick exterior grade plywood floor, painted also with a lifetime warranty to the original owner. 1/4" Fir plywood interior walls with no strips to hide gaps or seams so the walls inside are smooth. It has the Dexter Torflex axle with EZ lube hubs which are nice since you can adjust the wheel bearing play and have no cotter pin to replace it has a reusable axle nut retainer, and of course you can lube the hubs without removing the bearing dust caps. I upgraded to electric brakes with a breakaway system....mainly because I was pulling it with a Tacoma at the time and the trucks owners manual stated trailer brakes would be required if the trailer weighed 1,000 lbs or more the Car Mate was labled at 1360 lbs. if I remember right. I also ordered two interior dome lights with a wall switch, roof vent with vent cover, E track down both sides of the floor about 2" from the side walls. E track will make your trailer versatile beyond belief. "D" Rings don't even come close. I also ordered an exterior mounted spare tire, and diamond plate side frame trim. I compared these to Haulmark trailers and the difference in quality was easy to see. With Haulmark you could tell which one's on the lot were built during their "busy season"...missing exterior srews, misaligned panels, gaps between the diamond plate stone gaurd and the sheet metal etc. A second choice would be a Wells Cargo behind Car Mate. My trailer has been up and down the East Coast and across the country 3 times with zero problems, just routine maintenance.

Tech23

Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Wells Cargo

Old 05-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duoglider
Wells Cargo

I certainly would not argue that, very nice trailers. Being I'm in AZ. now and Car Mate is back East only. Wells Cargo would be my first choice here, even though I could have a Car Mate delivered. There is something to be said about being close to either a good dealer and or the manufacturer.

Tech23

Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the floor has a 30 year to lifetime guarentee. If you can put E track in it so much the better. If you put in D rings make sure they are the heavy 1/2" diameter steel rings. And on either tiedown system, make sure they have steel plate under the floor and are not just screwed down to the wood floor.

Now most important, what are you going to pull this with? Make sure you don't have more trailer than you have tow vehicle. Just because the truck dealer's specs say it will pull it, don't mean its really strong enough or heavy enough to handle a big trailer. Are you going to pull in the mountains? If so you will need a "strong" engine. A little V6 is not going to cut it.

Look at all the available trailers in your area. I looked at all the name brands and picked the one that was the best built. As big of a trailer as you are talking about, be sure it has tandem axles and electric brakes. Sounds like you plan on moving with this trailer and then will use it to haul your bike(s). I know we are not made of money but now is not the time to go cheap. You will regret it later.

If you plan on sleeping in this thing on motorcycle trips, be sure to get a regular camper side door and not one of the swing hinge clamp doors. You could get locked in the damn thing from the outside. My trailer also has a hinge down ramp on the back for easy loading of the bikes; nice option. The door is heavy enough to support loading a car inside the trailer.

You can mount your own wheel chocks. Be sure to get something that will be removable in a flash, not something you have to get under the trailer to unbolt.

There are numerous things to think about when deciding on a trailer. The things I mentioned is just some things to think about. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackfatty
I am looking at different enclosed trailers to haul my bike and other crap in when I move. Don't know much about the brands - is there much of a difference in brands besides heavier axle and wheel options? I'm looking for a 6x12 enclosed w/v-nose. I assume putting a wheel chock and tie-downs is a must.
Blackfatty; there are some excellent posts here with a lot of good information. I would only add that you have to ask yourself how you intend to use the trailer and how often it will be used.

I have an 8’x20’ Hallmark car hauler; certainly not the best trailer on the market but it fills my requirements. I was looking for versatile enclosed trailer that could safely transport my show cars from car show to car show or transport 4 Touring bikes.

I only use my trailer a handful of time each year and it is stored inside my garage; however, if I used it more frequently, had to store it outside and was in a position to write off the expense, I would have considered a Featherlite, which IMO is the top of the line but in my case and for my limited usage would be over kill.

Another consideration that in my opinion should dictate the size and weight of your trailer is your tow vehicle. I’m a bit of a fanatic on this subject firmly believe in towing safety. I live in a part of the country where 6% grades are common place and constantly see people towing trailers as big as a city block with something that’s about 20 years old and the size of a Hugo!

My best advice is: ask yourself a lot of questions and do a lot of research.

Attached Thumbnails Enclosed trailers-100_0121.jpg   Enclosed trailers-100_0123.jpg   Enclosed trailers-100_0125.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I have a Homesteader, 7X14, dual axel, electric brakes, lift assist rear ramp door, side door, small table inside ( folds down against side of trailer), wheel chock installed, tiedown eyelets mounted through beam under trailer ( not floor), white exterior, checkboard floor.....not the best, but in real nice condition. Has served me well, but I've sold my trike and don't need this big a trailer.
***SOLD***

Last edited by Casper; 11-04-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:20 PM
blackfatty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info - i'll be pulling it with a 5.4L F150.

Anyone have a "Lark" brand? It's the least expensive i've found ($2400 v-nose,single axle,ramp -new). I'm going to sell it when I get to Dallas so I don't care about it's long-term quality I just want to get there.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:49 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=blackfatty;6686283]Thanks for the info - i'll be pulling it with a 5.4L F150.

Anyone have a "Lark" brand? It's the least expensive i've found ($2400 v-nose,single axle,ramp -new). I'm going to sell it when I get to Dallas so I don't care about it's long-term quality I just want to get there.[/quote]

Blackfatty; I don’t know anything about Lark Trailers so I can’t help you there but if I understand your post correctly, you just want this trailer to make one cross country trip. If that in-fact is the case, why not just rent a one-way trailer?

Used trailers, even ones just used on one trip tend not to hold resale; seems to me that you could rent a trailer a heck of a lot cheaper and not have the hassle of having to insure it and sell it.

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailers