Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EFI temperature range

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 05:23 PM
weezl
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EFI temperature range

So, since I bought my bike, i've noticed it ran quite hot, both with the heat coming off the engine and the gauge on my phone. (v&h fp3)

i don't remember for sure if this was an issue before I replaced my exhaust, but I suspect it was. though I did replace it within the first month. I have V&H big radius 2-2 pipes, V&H fuel pack 3, and for the last year, was running the stock intake, i've noticed the bike gets HOT, hot enough that I touch the rocker cover, and it HURTS! I started monitoring my engine temperature through the app on my phone, with the FP3, and it has been getting up to like 160*c, (320*f) on the gauge, i tried to find if this is out of range for a harley, but could find no info, and when I went to look into if it's out of range for an engine in general, i realized I don't for sure know where the temperature is being sensed. I did find a discussion where people said the evo had a sensor on the left side of the engine, in the head, rear cylinder, and they assumed that the twin cam had the same, but no confirmation.

the next issue is head temperatures are going to drastically vary, depending on specific placement of the sensor, could vary as much as like 30%, just by putting it in a different spot in the head (near intake vs near exhaust)

when I pull the temp gauge up into my big gauge on the display, it does give me a temperature range from 0-200c, (or 0-400f) so it is in the range, but this seems hot to me regardless.

it's about the same temperature, within about 10degrees, if i'm goosing it hard, or if i'm riding down the highway cruising at a normal speed. it is significantly cooler when riding home from work at night though.