Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Accel super coil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:48 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts
Default Accel super coil?

Anyone running one of these? Just wanting to know if you have noticed any real difference between the stock and after market one?

Thanks

Old 09-12-2017, 09:41 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

i run one on my 1974ch
the truth told, and if you research, you will see that it will basically fire at the required voltage to jump the gap so being better than stock or something else might not be what you think it to be.
most will fire in the 6>8k range with new plugs and wires so the 50k is not happening!! but!!! if you add in crappy components, it has the ability to fire to rated turns ratio, aka, 50k. now if you are street and this is happening, then you have serious issues, high performance maybe not so much.
what determines firing voltage is the total resistance seen by the system: wires, plugs and combustion chamber conditions. also of note is how well the coil is charged.
butt dyno will tell no diff and a rolling dyno probably not also.
the coil is of good value and yes it has the ability to go beyond stock

Old 09-12-2017, 10:13 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Thanks, I was just intrigued.. With better spark? Comes a bit better milage, that was my thought.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Deadof_knight
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I ran an accel supper coil on both my old chevy trucks and you could damn sure tell the difference in starting . I was thinking the same thing as REW13

Old 11-27-2017, 09:01 PM
Deadof_knight
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool the amount of turns designates voltage

Dwell will charge the coil...... at lower rpms voltage for spark is higher as the engine increases voltage drops slightly , until you reach higher rpms will the voltage drop off.....

thats the way it was explained to me .But if the bike is working well already , probably wont notice much.. Something like and MSD ignition might see some good improvement ...

Old 11-27-2017, 11:21 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

and a nice clean look, NO PLUG WIRES, and the kit, the coil, sits on top of plug, and fills in gap in cylinder head, looks very clean, I ordered it last week, theres other pro's ive read on other forums, guys that have it, starts amazing quick, those cold hard starts a thing of the past, etc etc.... I did it, so I can remove my grenade coil/ignition, this piece is where my keys gonna go, on the rocker c, our coil is where others horn is , on the side, this piece looks great!!!

Old 11-28-2017, 02:31 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Accel are the yellow ones ?
Yea I've used them on a few HD's don't know if they're any better or worse, they work that's all I know.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:42 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Are you talking about the set up that put the coil on the plug? My dodge had that. Nothing really new. I agree with above. Spark will jump gap when enough is built up. Stock coil handles this fine. Remember that if the bike is newer. You have a 3 phase and doesn't need 1800 rpm or so to see output of the charging system.

I have installed one set for a customer. Clean look and simple to install. Customer was happy. As for me? A bit more to do to change/ check plugs, or compression check blah, blah, blah... I'm just not a cover fan.

As far as performance. Neither of us believe it was achieved, but nothing was hurt either. I had the big yellow coil on my 78. Went from points and a dual fire to an electric and single fire. Those gain to be had are the thing of the past.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 717 Likes on 567 Posts

the reason that i have found to use a performance coil is not for increased voltage as has been covered,,,,what they DO do is they can continue to provide power with, in simple terms, a faster recovery time for the next spark event. for most applications they are not really needed, but if you have a built motor and spin high rpms there can be some benifit.
m