Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

OLD BIKER: Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Professor123
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OLD BIKER: Where do I start?

Just so y'all know, I've been riding HD for 43 years STRAIGHT. These days, I ride (a drifter) FULL TIME, and have been on the road for two and a half years. Prior to this journey, I always rode a carbuerated bike. I am a pretty good mechanic and have always done my own work, including motor rebuilds.
I started this journey with a 2013 Streetglide. A local bike shop installed the old HD "race" tuner (now illegal) and dyno-tuned the bike after I installed a free-flow exhaust and stage 1 intake. The bike ran GREAT, and I just bought a new M-8 after putting over 70,000 miles on the '13. Now, I dont know WHAT to do. Not being "back home"...and no longer being able to get the illegal HD "race" tuner, I must teach myself about tuners and tuning. It's pretty confusing for an old biker. I am reading all the threads (and I DO understand engine theory) but there are things I need to learn "wide band" , "narrow band", autotune, etc, etc. Is there some kind of BOOK I can start to read to teach myself?
WHERE DO I START?
Basically, the new M-8 runs great, but it is purified. Its sounds like a washing machine. The air cleaner looks like it belongs on a Suzuki Intruder, and the cat does nothing for performance...just for adding heat. I gotta do some changes. I know it will void my warranty, but this bike, the way it is from the factory, is SILLY.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:49 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 574 Posts

Look into the Dyno Jet Powervision tuner, there are a lot of tutorial videos out for it. Basic tuning strategies apply, you might need to do some reading on fuel injection theory and function for the application. Hope that helps.
M

Old 05-01-2019, 01:11 PM
Professor123
Novice

It does. Thank you.
Basically, from what I have been reading so far, I have decided on a Power Vision, and that thru Fuel Moto. But there is MUCH more I need to learn...

Old 05-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor123
It does. Thank you.
Basically, from what I have been reading so far, I have decided on a Power Vision, and that thru Fuel Moto. But there is MUCH more I need to learn...
First thing to learn is that a PV will void your M8 warranty if that is important to you.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Professor123
Novice

Yes, I am aware that it will void my warranty. But basically, I dont want to get the SE tuner because I feel it's now too limited (unlike the old HD "Super" tuner). I'm thinking it's a waste of money.
I have "monitored" my bike closely, looking for M8 type problems. So far, so good. Almost ready to roll the dice and screw the warranty. Technically, I'm already screwed since the bike has a trailer hitch, but HD does not know about it. And it is a Rivco "hidden hitch" which comes apart with only the frame remaining under the fender. Unless the rear wheel is taken off for some reason, theres no way to know there.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:57 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor123
Yes, I am aware that it will void my warranty. But basically, I dont want to get the SE tuner because I feel it's now too limited (unlike the old HD "Super" tuner). I'm thinking it's a waste of money.
I have "monitored" my bike closely, looking for M8 type problems. So far, so good. Almost ready to roll the dice and screw the warranty. Technically, I'm already screwed since the bike has a trailer hitch, but HD does not know about it. And it is a Rivco "hidden hitch" which comes apart with only the frame remaining under the fender. Unless the rear wheel is taken off for some reason, theres no way to know there.
If you’re not concerned about your warranty many here favor the PV if you’re going beyond Stage 2

Old 05-02-2019, 04:07 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

If you would like an good overview of HD Fuel injection operation and tuning take a look at the HD Street Tuner online training video-

http://streetperformancetuner.harley...ENU/index.html

It includes info on tuning without a dyno. Most of the training also applies to tuning with a PowerVision, it uses different software and has more capability.

You can also read through an older HD Super Tuner User guide for more info:
http://www.msttn.com/dyna/sertum.pdf

Old 05-02-2019, 07:41 AM
Professor123
Novice

Thanks. This is the type of stuff that will help me learn. Thanks again 🙂

Old 05-04-2019, 05:44 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

You can also download the HD Pro Street Tuner software using all 1's for the VCI number.
You can look at the tunes for your bike.
http://streetperformancetuner.harley...reetTuner.aspx

You can download and install the WinPV software. You can get a tune from DynoJet web site for your bike to look at and compare the HD Pro Street tuner and WinPV tunes / software.
https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-28398-...M%20XL%201200C

Or DynoJet:
http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/p...Power%20Vision

Download a DynoJet PV tune:
http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/p...ion-tunes.aspx

Select your bike and enter an email address to get to the download page.

Fuel Moto has several DynoJet PowerVision videos (more at their Youtube channel)
See the Vidoes/Images tab at the Fuel Moto link above

Old 05-06-2019, 07:29 AM
Professor123
Novice

Thank you for the input and help🙂

Quick Reply: OLD BIKER: Where do I start?