Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

re mapping question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Kevinc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re mapping question

These questions probably come up all the time, but I could not find it when I did a search so here goes.

I've got an 06 fatboy with a SE air cleaner. I would like to change the pipes for for cooling and a little more power, but I don't want to go to loud. I'm thining about the SE shorty slip ons. If I go to the SE slips will I need to remap, or add a T-max system? I new at this,and do not even understand exactly what is involved with a remap and what it may cost? What would it take to go to a full Stage I? Cost?

Thanks ahead of time for all of your help.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: re mapping question

You will need to change your fuel management to match AFR changes.. Pick a box. Get your own prices from the selectedfuel management controllers website.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Since you've got the SE airbox, are we to assume you've also got the necessary "stage 1" factory download? If so, changing to the SE mufflers will require no further tuning action on your part. If not, you'll need (should have already) at least a "stage 1" download from the dealer, or an aftermarket fueling add-on appropriately set.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.*****************/forums/sh...d.php?t=108521 Read this Kevinc....this will help you understand when you have to remap.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:48 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Try http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=108521 instead.

The post is hardly informative. It is somewhat, but barely so. To someone who already knows what's being said, it's way too basic. To someone who doesn't already know what's being said, I don't see how they'd walk away any better for having read it. All it would do for that case, in my opinion, is further cement the notion that the reader doesn't know whether they should get their bike tuned or not.

Assuming the tune is already correct for the bike in question here in this thread, if all he does is change mufflers (as later suggested, though initially he said "pipes", which would definitely require a VE tables going-over), again, just mufflers, he'll probably be okay without changing the tuning. That is so long as the new mufflers don't much change the relationships between the values within the VE tables but instead merely shifts the table as a whole. So long as that's what's happening and he's still got headroom with his AFV, at any rate.

But he still hasn't answered my question re: having a "download" to accommodate the non-stock airbox. There's just not enough information available to offer a definitive suggestion.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey don't hold back there glens....tell me what you really think!! I didn't relize I was so stupid.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:27 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

My bad in my previous post. I see he's got an '06, so no adaptive fueling (I don't think).

I didn't say you were stupid. I said the post linked-to doesn't offer quite enough information to truly be useful to someone wanting to understand why they might need to re-map their VE tables. Heck, it doesn't even explain what they are and how they work. It just mentions them in a sort of off-hand way like the person reading the post already knows that information. And if they do, the post doesn't really do much for them.

In terms of the content, for what it's worth (and I don't expect it will be worth much to you coming from me), I don't find much to disagree with. In fact, any issue I might have with what's actually said would be stuff like referring to mufflers as pipes, spelling errors, and not much more. Like I said, I don't think it goes into quite enough detail to be truly helpful to the uninitiated. That's all. Not that you're stupid. I don't even have a clue how you got that impression.

Let's see what the thread starter (kevinc?) has to say about that thread answering his question...

Old 10-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

No problem glens....I see you bash a lot of people here I guess it was just my turn!!

Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Kevinc
Tourer

Thanks, and Glen you are corrrect, I am new at this and have a lot to learn. I bought the bike used (06 Fat Boy) and it came with the SE a/c. I don't know if the bike was remapped. I'll ask the seller. I do want to change the stock sip-on mufflers, but don't want to go to loud. I'm hoping to get a little more performance and run a little cooler. I suppose a complete Stage I upgrade is the answer, but I want to save money where possible. The questions boil down to: "Can I get the peorfrmance gains I want by just changing the slip-ons mufflers and an HD remap, or do I need to go to T-Max type fuel managemnt system"? What are the costs of a complete Stage I set up?

Thanks again for the help. As a newbe I really apprecaite everyone that shares their knowledge.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:44 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, Kevinc, it comes down to :
[ol][*]paying HD stealer or local for remapping, at probably $200+ OR[*]purchasing a tuner, muck with it yourself or paya local to set it up for you.[/ol]
Tricky part is determining how much $$$ you want to spend, and what you plan on doing for upgrades down the road. The cheaper route is probably a remap.If not,the odering would be maybe the PCroute, followed by I guess a SERT, then going for it all with a T-Max system.

If you plan on doing no other mods, maybe just remap, and hopefully you will be satisfied and your done. But, who's got a crystal ball...

BTW, the thread Doc1 is referringto I think is v-twinforum. substitute the "****" with v-twinforum, rather than using glens ipaddress scheme.

Do more research and ask more questions here. I'm sure everyone will point you in the right direction.

just my $.02..

Quick Reply: re mapping question