Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EGSTD with 120 ci missing badly

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 PM
CaptnAl
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGSTD with 120 ci missing badly

2005 EG STD with Jims 120, Carbureted, and a HD race tuner ignition

I have been experiencing some heavy duty missing. After riding the bike for awhile and getting the oil up to temperature, 30 to 45 minutes, it wants to stall while at idle. This just started to happen very recently.

It runs very rough and I have to keep it above 1200 RPM’s to keep it running. Once I start off and at road speed there are no issues.

I thought I might have bad gas, so I added a booster and topped off to try and eliminate gas being the issue. I also put in a new set of plugs. I still have the same symptoms after it is good and warm. Never had this problem before.

I think it could be 1 of three things, trash in the carb, coil going bad, or ignition module going bad.

I would welcome any suggestions on what to look for and how to test or inspect any components for failure modes.

Thanks,

Old 01-29-2008, 07:08 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: EGSTD with 120 ci missing badly

Sounds like the float needle is not seating and allowing the carb to overfill. Higher rpms burns the excess away but loads up at or near idle. Black smoke out of the pipes and black plugs will confirm this. Will only need a good clean out of the carb float bowl and needle and seat. Not sure if you have a gas filter but it will stop this from happening again.
Ron

Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

Please tell us what you have for motor work. cams etc....... It will give me a better Idea how to help. But check the carb for now

Old 01-30-2008, 03:59 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try starting the bike and using a heat gun to carefully heat the coil and ignition module one at a time to see if you can make it miss. To verify you can run it until it misses then cool each one at a time with a can of cooling spray.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 PM
pistole
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- there's that spray thing they sell in electronics stores.
It cools down whatever its sprayed on. Start with coils,
module.

- cheers

Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 PM
CaptnAl
Road Captain

Thank you all for replying, I will see if I can clean out the carb and I can heat rhe coils and module. I do have access to some freeze spray so I can do that test.

As for the question about build out, the motor is the basic version of the Jims 120 CI it was a bolt in and the only upgrade was the HD ingnition race tuner. I dont have the info on the cams handy, it is buried in an email. i will see if i can find it. I have ridden the bike quite a bit on the highway and then in town especially during bike week and never had an issue. I do have a Thunder header on it and it was dyno tuned by the dealer to tweek it in. Also, it has a big sucker air filter.

I will give these suggestions i try, and will let you know. Any other possibilities to look for would be appreciated.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 AM
CaptnAl
Road Captain

Ron,

Thanks for the tip on the float needle. Finally got it replaced and it works beautifully no miss or hesitation. Did not get to ride it to far, but long enought to get heat in the engine and the oil to temp. It seems all is well. I am going to ride it more over the next week to make sure I have no more issues before the run to Daytona.

Thanks again,

Allen