Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HELP! Battery keeps dying.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:52 PM
2kanzam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Battery keeps dying.

I have an '08 Nightster that I bought in October.The bike never sat without running for more than a couple days the whole time.SO, Last week I went to start my bike to take it in for the 1000 mile maintainance.

I turned the ignition..............Nothing. No lights, no display and DEFINITELY no turn-over.

I tried to jump it (no, the car was not running) left it for 30 mins and it would turn-over (barely) but not start. Left it for a couple more minutes and, took the cables off, it gave me a half arsed crank and thats it....thats all the juice it had. I went to the dealer, with the battery and they said it had a dead cell and they gave me a new one. I happily rode off and ran some errands for the eve.

The bike sat for two days when I went to start it. Completely Dead again. Called the dealer and they think I'm just leavin' the ignition on the ACC switch when I stop it. I'm definitely NOT doing that! I go get this battery charged bring it back and bring the bike down. They perform an electrical system check, say everything is ok, there is no drain on the battery from the bikeand ten minutes later they say they found a loose ground.....they tightened it and it'll be fine.

The next day I get on to go for a ride....COMPLETELY DEAD AGAIN. I get a new battery from the dealerAGAIN (after they accuse me of leaving the ignition on) and when I'm leaning over the bike to hook it up I hear a little whrrrrr-tick-tick-tick every couple seconds that starts as soon as I attach the negative cable. It soulds like its coming from behind the air cleaner. Its much quieter than the fuel pump, but could it be the fuel relay or something thats running all the time?

AAny Ideas? Anyone else had this problem or something similar? Its freakin killin me!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:22 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Battery keeps dying.

Make sure you can replicate thatnoise 2 or 3 times and then take it back to the dealer and make them fix it. Sounds like you found it. There is a closed circuit there somewhere that is drawing current if the ignition is off. OR you may have a bad ignition switch. Just be sure you can replicate it or they will think you are crazy. If so, call the service manager at your dealer and explain it to him over the phone. Kinda sucks that you have to find the problem for them but that is the way it is with many dealers. Car dealers are no different if the TECHII tells the world is flat then flat it is. I have had to diagnose 3 issues with my 2006 GMC Yukon the same way. PIA but you are only helping yourself.

My guess is ignition switch or voltage regulator. Let us know what you find.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brother-in-law had the same sound. Turned out to be a pinched wire.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wonder why they keep replacing the battery when that's obviously not the problem? Must have all technicians, no mechanics.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:19 PM
schoney
Tourer

Take your bike in with a charged battery, leave it there and tell them to start it in 2 days.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mp

Wonder why they keep replacing the battery when that's obviously not the problem? Must have all technicians, no mechanics.
Got that right...

Old 03-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Get a small test light, unhook your ground cable, attach the test lite to your ground cable then touch the ground post with the other end of the test light, it shouldlight up for a couple of seconds, you will hear the contacts kicking in, thats what you are hearing, if the light stays on even after the contacts go in then you have a short.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 PM
2kanzam
Tourer

Get this...took the bike back that final time and told them to let it sit for a coupla days then try to start it.Today I called right as he was doin it and....of courseIt started fine!They asked to hold onto it for another few days and I am cool with that because somethin's wrong and they need to figure it out. Cuz you know the second I take it home it will die. Could it be the fact that I would get it,ride 30 miles or so and then let it sit?....hopefully they think of this kinda stuff cuz im totally miffed!

....Oh and of course they DO NOT hera the whrrrrr tick tick tick every few seconds that heard MULTIPLE times. They are gonna think I'm crazy or are leaving the ignition on ACC.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
2kanzam
Tourer

For any and all who care.

I was right!......in a sense. They went to start the bike the next day (saturday) and it was dead. Apparently there was a techinical bulletin sent out by HD (that didn't make it to my dealer!) describing problems occuring when water would cause a short to allow the trottle body to constatntly open.....which is the whrrr-tick-tick-tick I was hearing near the aircleaner.

They replaced it and I'm gonna pick it up as soon as the rain subsides. I better find out if they did anything to keep it from happening again.

Anyways.....gonna have the bike back just in time for my V&H pipes to get here!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
BikerWaldo
Stage IV

Hey I'm having what sounds like the same problem with my bike. The dealer has replaced the computer and that did not fix the problem. I hear the same whrr-tick-tick-tick sound. Can you give me the bulletin number or tell me what they replaced on your bike and if the problem is still fixed. My bike is at the dealer now and the tech is scratching his head. Any help would be apprecitated.

Quick Reply: HELP! Battery keeps dying.