Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

XIED's

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:42 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XIED's

Well its about a year and a half and this HYPE about the IED's and XIED's...
i havent driven much with the XIED's since winter set in quickly here and on did 1000 miles on my new SG... Whats update on these XIED"s and has any problems aroused by using them ? Any harm seend to spark plugs,,etc.. by using the XIED's on a 2008 with Factory stage 1 download ??

Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 4k miles with them installed on my '08 Ultra and really liked the way they made my bike run. I had no problems and the plugs looked great everytime I pulled them. I do drive in heavy stop and go at least three times a week and they were a blessing. I finally upgraded to true duals and am planning some more upgrade this year ( cam maybe heads ) and so I went ahead and upgraded to the ProSERT.

I think you will appreciate them. They are not a silver bullet and my bike still got plenty hot, it just wasn't to the point of burning the skin off my legs anymore!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks DoomBuggy. after all this hype of XIED"s i was disappointed ure only reply.
maybe a PCV or SERT is way to go..

Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
after all this hype of XIED"s i was disappointed ure only reply...
I tried the Xied's and my '08 UC did not like them...sort of the "one size fits all" solution.

Like many others, I then decided to go with a more full-featured tuner...much better performance.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:16 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its about a year and a half and this HYPE about the IED's and XIED's...
i havent driven much with the XIED's since winter set in quickly here and on did 1000 miles on my new SG... Whats update on these XIED"s and has any problems aroused by using them ? Any harm seend to spark plugs,,etc.. by using the XIED's on a 2008 with Factory stage 1 download ??
Still using the XIED's with no problems. Bike runs good, no complaints.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:27 PM
sgt1577
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Have them on my '08 Roadking. They work exactly as advertised! My bike runs great!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

how many of u changed from XIED to a PCV ?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

how many of u changed from XIED to a PCV ?
I can't see value in IED's for anything other than a stock bike unless you take some steps to control lean AFR's in open-loop mode. You could add free-flowing mufflers and AC, do the HD Stage 1 download, and then add IED's--but for the money that costs you could buy a PCIII or PCV, and that's a much more flexible and effective option.

I have never installed IED's because I wanted more out of an EFI controller, as their scope is very limited. If you buy a PCV from Fuel Moto you will get an accurate map for your setup based on a dyno-tune of a bike like yours. That will affect the AFR range previously affected by closed-loop and open-loop. There is a misconception that removing the O2 sensors from the equation is somehow reducing control, but this isn't true. In open-loop mode with a PCV attached the ECU is capable of compensating for temperature, humidity, air density, and barometric pressure. The narrow-band closed-loop system employed by HD is little more than a means to meet EPA regulations, not as a method to accurately control AFR's across the board.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 PM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by iclick
I can't see value in IED's for anything other than a stock bike unless you take some steps to control lean AFR's in open-loop mode. You could add free-flowing mufflers and AC, do the HD Stage 1 download, and then add IED's--but for the money that costs you could buy a PCIII or PCV, and that's a much more flexible and effective option.

I have never installed IED's because I wanted more out of an EFI controller, as their scope is very limited. If you buy a PCV from Fuel Moto you will get an accurate map for your setup based on a dyno-tune of a bike like yours. That will affect the AFR range previously affected by closed-loop and open-loop. There is a misconception that removing the O2 sensors from the equation is somehow reducing control, but this isn't true. In open-loop mode with a PCV attached the ECU is capable of compensating for temperature, humidity, air density, and barometric pressure. The narrow-band closed-loop system employed by HD is little more than a means to meet EPA regulations, not as a method to accurately control AFR's across the board.
+1, good explanation.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:08 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

The above explanation is done well just to show an example of Dyno proven, the Red is done with Stage 1 Xieds .. definitely cooler and better running than stock, the Blue is after the PCIII Tune ...

Quick Reply: XIED's