Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PC3 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:43 PM
gainman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC3 question

Hello,

I tried searching about this, but there is sooo much info that comes up I was a little overwhelmed. To get my bike custom tuned with something like powercommander, do I have to purchase a chip to put into the bike, or will it load a map into the stock electronics?

My bike is an 09 Nightrain.

Thanks,

Dominik

Old 06-26-2009, 06:31 PM
relxn88
Advanced

You don't need the Dealer download with a Power Commander. Just my 2cents , but you didn't say what you had in your "09" , if it's just air cleaner and pipes, call jamie @ http://www.fuelmotousa.com/
He'll sell you a PCV with an installed custom map(both cylinders tuned individually) for your specific bike. Saves you the price of the dynotune.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:30 PM
gainman
5th Gear

the bike is stock, picking up a high flow air filter and just got some new pipes. My question is, if i bring the bike to a shop, will they just load the powercommander map onto my stock electronics box, or do I have to purchase some sort of chip to install onto the bike, and then have software loaded on that?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:16 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gainman
the bike is stock, picking up a high flow air filter and just got some new pipes. My question is, if i bring the bike to a shop, will they just load the powercommander map onto my stock electronics box, or do I have to purchase some sort of chip to install onto the bike, and then have software loaded on that?
Order your PC from Fuelmoto. Tell them what you are going to do or have done to your bike. They will install a map into the PC. Install it and you are good to go.
The PC changes the signal from your ECM (electronic box) and sends it on.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Power Commander is an electronic device (box ) slightly larger than a deck of playing cards. The map is written to the device and is stored in memory. You install the box on the bike and connect it to the bikes ECM. It intercepts the signals from the various sensors that the ECM requires to manage the fuel delivery and other functions of the bike.
The Power Commander then forwards the corrected data based on the map that is installed in it, to the ECM. As the others have said, call Fuelmoto tell them how your bike is set up, they will load the appropriate map into the PC and all you have to do is install the PC.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 PM
RCB
Road Warrior

The PC III is basically a plug and play unit. You remove the connector to your ECM and plug into the PC III and then plug a jumper from the PC III to ECM. If you order from www.fuelmoto.com the PC III will come preloaded with the appropiate map for your specific set up. This is a relatively easy installation that you can do yourself instead of going to a dealer or indy shop.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:44 PM
gainman
5th Gear

thanks guys, got the answer i needed. just needed to know if it is an actual box to install, or do i just buy the software and have it loaded. but i see now that i have to buy the box.