Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2002 Road King Classic - Ignition Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 AM
achawk
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Road King Classic - Ignition Problem?

My bike’s not running right. It’s still struggling and occasionally stalling. I was having the same problem last year, but haven’t been able to figure it out.

It seems like it is not getting fuel and missing a cycle occasionally. It will pop and, when severe, will stall. Happens in all gears, but is most noticeable in first (mainly because that’s when I’m pulling into traffic J). Seems to happen most in humid, cool weather.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 PM
rsaulnier
Stage I
Default Same problem

I have the same problem on my 2003 Road King Classic i am going to bring mine into Harley this week i will let you know what they say. I had the same problem last year also.
Ron

Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 PM
PLHOG
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Me too with an '01 FLHRCI with 50,000 miles. Had it in the shop for severals days, they found no problem and reported it running fine. On the way home, it starts again - worse as it cooled off (and is very humid here in central Ohio).

There's another thread here which suggests the throttle position sensor is a good candidate for the cause.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:10 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

Having read a ton of fuel threads, there are some suggestions:
- Fuel pickup tube in the tank has a hole in it allowing air to get into the line.
- air leak in the induction path leaning out the mixture to the point of, well its just air.
- clogged MAP - providing false barametic readings, humidity causes pressure changes as gunk expands/contracts (no I don't believe this one either, but hey )
- partially clogged fuel filter. Gunk clogging at random moments.
- dirty A/C engine starved for air at throttle up.
- worn plugs, cracked plug - do random things as the heat expands and contracts the plug.
- worned plug wires, came issues as plug plus maybe fractured conducting path.

There are other possibilities. The better you are at reliably producing the problem, the easier it is to diagnose.

your mileage may vary.
...gene

Last edited by genedjr; 09-17-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:48 AM
okie41
2nd Gear
Default Same thing here on my 02 flhrci.

New coil, new tps, new iac, new air temp. sensor, new engine temp sensor, new air filter, new plugs and wires. No hole in fuel lines, no crap in fuel. Seems worse when heating up.
Been fighting this thing for a year now. Runs fine then just misses a beat. Then will miss 2 beats or 3 then will run fine for a while.
Error code 24 showing front cylinder coil/open. Checked wires at injector but found no break. Power commander maybe? ecm?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:44 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1999 & 2003

I'll jump in here with a similar problem with a 1999 carbed bike.

Started with an occasional miss, begin to miss more often until it would hardly start or run. Using the enrichner would make it run better.

Found that the intake manifold was loose. One screw was missing and the other three were only finger tight.

You may also may have a poor battery connection or a failing head temperature sensor. These were the fault on a 2003 injected bike.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:52 PM
photocycle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone has found a solution. My 2002 FLHRI has been running like a sewing machine for 68,000 miles. Yesterday, I just came off the on ramp onto the interstate and it bucked and popped and started backfiring and missing. I could not turn around until the next crossover about two miles. I rode on the shoulder in second gear all the way back home. First I changed out the plugs. It started up fine and no misses or surging while at speed but it will hardly idle. I talked with a technician I know and was told to pull the ECM fuse, disconnect the battery and let it sit for an hour or so. I did and it ran ok for a minute or so then started surging, missing and would occasionally die while idleing. It smells a little rich at the exhaust. Has anyone found out what the cause is?

Old 11-01-2011, 03:40 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess is the Head Temperature Sensor is faulty.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Nojo53
Stage I
Default Clicking sound when trying to start my 2002 RK

Fired up my bike a couple of times since it's been setting for a few weeks. Then it started clicking when I tried to start it. Put the battery charger on for a few days and still will not start just a clicking sound. The key light came on flashing, so I used the fob to turn it off but still won't fire up. Any suggestible solutions.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:48 PM
gd2klf
Stage I
Default Kind of similar problem

I was just going through St. Louis last weekend when my injected 50 k mile 2002 RoadKing started running like crap. Basically running on 1 cylinder 90% and 2 cylinders 10%. Dealer was able to determine that one of the injector wires was loose in the connector. They were able to fix it in about 2 hours. Before this incident, it seemed like the bike was running a little rougher over the last year or so, but I could not figure it out. Road it to Florida and back (1100 miles) with no issues (other than being stuck in traffic at 3:00 in the afternoon in Atlanta on their hottest day on record). May be totally unrelated to your issue, but a simple thing to check. The mechanic said he pulled the wire it just came out of the connector. He thought it was faulty when it was made.