Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Shovel ignition conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 10:01 PM
SPILF
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovel ignition conversion

Sure this bridge has been crossed before so I'm asking for input here. What's the dope on electronic ignition swaps into shovels...preferences, warnings, single fire vs dual fire...yadda, yadda, yadda....
I'm primarily interested in getting away from points for reliability reasons, moisture, wear, etc...
Thaks,
SPILF
Spare Parts In Loose Formation.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:15 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Shovel ignition conversion

There are many aftermarket electronic ignition modules for your shovel. ANY of them are better than points. The only one I recommend staying away from is the Dyna "S" ignition. Some of the ignitions systems retain your mechanical advance weights and others use an electronic advance built in.

I prefer the single fire ignitions but they are a little more costly. Crane HI-4 is pretty easy to install and setup and can be purchased as a kit with single fire coil.

An inexpensive and simple to setup ignition is the twin power from bikers choice. It can run single or dual fire and retains the mechanical advance weights.