Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Idle Control actuator

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Capt. Ron
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Control actuator

I have a 2000 Road King. I am having problems with the idle. For no apparent reason, the idle goes way up (I'm guessing about 2000 rpm) on occasion. When it does this, if I physically, with a long screw driver, force the Idle control actuator back down, the idle slows down and it sometimes stays ok for awhile. I DO have a part on order that HD says will fix the problem BUT until the part comes in and is put on: Can I simply unplug the connector to the actuator? I've done this and taken short rides, and it idles fine and I have no more issues with it idling fast. However I don't want to cause any engine damage and I would like to know if I can just run the bike with that actuator unplugged.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2013, 05:53 PM
kirbymnpd
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same problem

I wish someone would have answered this. I'm not even sure where I can get a idle control actuator for my 2000 FLHPI.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know if you can get an IAC for a MM equipped bike, that is for others to answer.

But what you WANT to do is clean the IAC with fuel injector/carb cleaner. Most likely it is sticking do to gunk in it.

The IAC is for cold start up, like a choke. I don't think you would kill anything if you disconnected it.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:02 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get some MAF sensor cleaner and spray it down good while moving the stem in and out with a small screw driver..be careful not to push to far up........might also use the MAF cleaner on the little Intake air control inside the left tube on the Throttle body behind the throttle valve. Looks like a Mass Air Flow sensor on a car (little resistor). which it does basically the same thing......

Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 AM
LightningRider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like the IAC on cars. It will run with it disconnected. Clean it thoroughly and put it back on. No need to replace them.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM
kirbymnpd
Novice
Default Thank You

That's good to hear. I can't find a new one and mine has completely quit working. I can barely get it to move in and out. I've tried cleaning with carb cleaner and lubing with an anti-seize grease and with WD40 (haven't tried duct tape yet) but it isn't moving freely. It also is hard to start without it working correctly but it will start. Thank you for your help.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:39 PM
kirbymnpd
Novice

And if anyone knows where I may be able to get one without trading my firstborn to Harley to afford it, let me know. I've checked J&P and S&S and they don't have one for the M&M injection. I do see lots of people have had considerable problems with their M&M injection.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
I don't know if you can get an IAC for a MM equipped bike, that is for others to answer.

But what you WANT to do is clean the IAC with fuel injector/carb cleaner. Most likely it is sticking do to gunk in it.

The IAC is for cold start up, like a choke. I don't think you would kill anything if you disconnected it.
MM system does not have a IAC, it has a ISC motor. There are 4 common things that can cause the problem. 1) Worn Throttle Shafts, 2) Bad TPS, (throttle position sensor) 3)bad engine temp sensor 4) Bad nose switch on ISC motor

Hope This Helps

Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 PM
kirbymnpd
Novice

Robs Used Cycle parts has one and as luck would have it one of the 3 Harley dealerships close to me has one. Harley is considerably more expensive but I can have it tomorrow morning without ordering and shipping. Surprisingly enough the dealer that services Police bikes (I have an FLHPI) doesn't have it but their smaller, sister store does. It is an Idle Speed Actuator and the part number (which wasn't easy to find) is 27272-95A.