Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:44 PM
twinsrusracing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal problem

Hi guys! I hope someone can help me, I have a 2003 fxd and just put new chrome handle bar control cover bottons on my bike and also ran my wires inside my handlebars. I removed all the connectors so no wires were spliced. My problem is everything works but my right turn signals. The front right running light works just no signal rt front or right rear. I did check the bulbs and they are fine. What iS weird is I can hear a very faint noise(like a beep) coming from under the seat area when I try to Push the right signal switch and the red key light appears on the speedo. Could it be a relay or the switch? Any direction would be appreciated!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:09 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a number of things. It could be a bad switch, a pinched wire at the switch housing, a bad turn signal module, open wire somewhere, etc. Did you try the 4-way emergency flashers?

If you have easy access to the connector for the right side switches I would disconnect it and with a multimeter test for continuity from the white/brown wire and the orange/white wire when you push the right turn signal button. If you have that....then while you are at it....on the othe end of the connector that goes back to the bike I would test the orange/white wire for battery voltage (roughly 12.7 volts) with the ignition on. This will tell you that you are getting power to the switch (by checking for voltage) and that power is being transferred out of the switch by testing continuity.

If all that works out....the next step I would take is to disconnect the TSM and check for battery voltage at the white/brown wire when the right turn signal is pushed. This of course will tell you that you are getting power to the TSM.

If you have power up to that point....then i would check the violet wire coming out of the TSM with the right turn signal pushed in.

A note....all the colors I am talking about are typical sporty wire color schemes....but I have to believe they carry over to other models.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:53 PM
twinsrusracing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey thanks for the reply!! I worked from front to back and found a wire pinched in the rear of all places!(someone was in there before) Once I disconnected the connection under the seat where the rear lights hook into they started working. Looks like one of the right turn wires were pinched and shorting across. Again thanks for the help!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it figured out! Ride safe!