Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Rev Tech Ignition Problem...PLEASE HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 PM
jtr
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev Tech Ignition Problem...PLEASE HELP.

I am new at this but I will give as much info as possible. I have a 100cid Rev Tech. I believe a 2003-04 model with rev tech electronic ignition. Just bought the bike and discovered front cylinder isn't firing when running. There is spark at the plug though and plenty of fuel. I have checked both coils (dual coil single fire) both coil wires, and all connections. Could there just not be enough spark? Also, the battery was not holding a charge so I pulled the stator out and found that problem. One of the two wires that go to the plug was cut by the magnet strip in the flywheel. It had started coming out of the flywheel a little and i guess rubbed the wire in two. I wondered that if as the flywheel was cutting into the wire if that somehow shorted the ignition module and affected how it sends its signal to that front coil. Just put a new stator on and is charging fine now. Back to the ignition, the status light doesn't light up at all, even when running on one cylinder. I thought maybe timing was off but i actually am able to ride it on one cylinder, as i did it before i realized it was only running on one cylinder. I knew it sounded kinda funny but it is such a nice bike i never thought there was a problem. The rear cylinder fires fine. It has really got me stumped. Any ideas? Thanks so much. Oh, and compression is fine as well. Around 155psi cold.

Last edited by jtr; 03-10-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 AM
jtr
Stage II
Default Problem solved

In case anyone was wondering, I replaced Rev Tech ignition module with a Dyna 2000i and it runs as it should now. One thing I think I forgot to mention before is that the status light on the old ignition NEVER lit up. Guess it was trying to tell me something.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 AM
David Welby
Stage I

Rev Tech internal ignitions tend to heat end fail I pulled mine and behind the plate you will fine the pickup magnets on mine The #1 cyl had cracked and came lose. I am changing to something else not sure yet which unit I will go with ?
It is very easy to pull the ignition plate to check if it failed and also easy to re install and set timing.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 AM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I now run an Ultima unit (Dyna 2ki) and love it! Its great to be able to plug in the laptop and program the unit up.